Tax Warrant

coyle09

I got a call from a credit place saying that I have a tax warrant for 2000.00 I need to pay. I'm wondering is it possible someone claimed me on their taxes when they shouldn't have and now they are coming after me to pay the money?

I got a call from a credit place saying that I have a tax warrant for 2000.00 I need to pay. I'm wondering is it possible someone claimed me on their taxes when they shouldn't have and now they are coming after me to pay the money?

The various tax authorities don't alert you to tax problems via email, telephone call, or text message.
Those many taxing authorities send you certified or registered letters via the USPS, and usually a regular mail copy of the registered or certified correspondence.

There are hundreds of scammers, identity thieves, and evil miscreants who do call unsuspecting people, try to get them to talk aout themselves, and scare them into sending money via various ODD pre-paid methods.

Its a good rule to just tell any caller, "Sorry, I don't discuss anything of this neature over the telephone. Please send me a letter, and I will decide whether I should respond."

Now, its at this point the scammer will ask you to confirm stuff, including your mailing address.

You should then say, " Sorry, if you're the taxing authority, you should have that information in your files."

Then you simply hang up.

Back