Tax legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty07allstar

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum but it wouldnt let me post in the tax forum. If you have already gotten your taxes done can your mom have them done again, through a different person then you, and claim you, even though you have already claimed yourself? If the answer is no what is the legality and why?

Are you 18 years or older?
A person can only be claimed on one tax return.
If you are 18, you can claim yourself.
However, if you are still living at home, or in college, and your parents are providing more than half of your support; it is generally a better idea to allow your parents to claim you.
If you have filed, and failed to speak with your mother about this; you have stopped her from using you as a deduction.
If you haven't, and she has provided more than 50% of your support (or you are still in high school and living at home); it is better to allow her to have the deduction.

What legally can be done to stop her from doing this again. What would the government do if they found out? Who could you call to report this?

What legally can be done to stop her from doing this again. What would the government do if they found out? Who could you call to report this?

How old are you?
Do you still live at home?
Does your mother provide more than 50% of your yearly support?

Before I can answer, I need you to answer those questions.
The answers determine who gets the tax deduction.

But, you need not tell anyone.

If two people claim the same person (using the same social security number), the IRS will contact them both in due course.

How old are you?
Do you still live at home?
Does your mother provide more than 50% of your yearly support?

Before I can answer, I need you to answer those questions.
The answers determine who gets the tax deduction.

But, you need not tell anyone.

If two people claim the same person (using the same social security number), the IRS will contact them both in due course.

22, yes, and no. Doesn't even support 5%.

Ty07allstar said:
You should speak with her about this.

The fact that you still live in her home has some value.

She should no longer be claiming you.

She could get into big trouble with the IRS.

The IRS is who should be contacted, if you and her can't reach a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should speak with her about this.

The fact that you still live in her home has some value.

She should no longer be claiming you.

She could get into big trouble with the IRS.

The IRS is who should be contacted, if you and her can't reach a compromise.

Could I get in trouble even though I had no control over it?

Ty07allstar said:
Could I get in trouble even though I had no control over it?

Not if things are as you say.

Have you filed using your social security number after learning that your mother had already filed using your number?

If you did, the IRS will more than likely return your filing, explaining that your number was used on your mother's return.

The solution to this is for your mother to file an amended return taking you off of hers!

Then you should refile using your own number.

If both of you do as I suggest, no one will get in trouble. The IRS allows people to make mistakes, if they correct them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back