Tax dispute w/Maryland Comptroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

tepcanoe

About 6 months ago, I received a letter from the Comptroller of Maryland. It stated that on my *2004* taxes, I had not claimed a "gift" or extra income. They were charging me the original tax ($1200) *plus* $850 in interest.

I spent an exorbitant amount of time trying to find out what money I had earned that I hadn't claimed. It ended up it was reimbursement from the US Gov for some student loans. The problem was that the Federal Gvt had sent the form that I needed to claim this money to an old address. This address was over 1 yr old, so the form was never forwarded to me. However, the Fed Gvt did manage to send me my W2s to the correct address for that yr.

So, having found out that I truly did owe the money, I am willing to pay the $1200. However, there are two things that bother me about the interest. 1) it was not my fault that I didn't get the form, 2) it took the State of MD 4 yrs to charge me, thereby racking up the interest.

I sent in a check for the $1200 with "paid in full" on it. I also sent a detailed letter as to why I was not paying the interest, and in the letter also wrote that the enclosed check was payment in full.

Does this complete my obligation to them?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back