Roomate Take name off lease, roomate giving me problem

R

resint_1

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am wanting to know how can I go about taking my name off a lease, the lease is up July 31,2016, my room mate agreed via text to take my name off, but now that it comes down to it she doesn't want to take my name off the lease. I have found another apartment and that is the only thing holding me back to getting the apartment. Is there anything I can do?

Is it a lease just between you and your roommate or are the two of you together on a lease with the owner/landlord?

If it's a lease between you and your roommate then she has no obligation to release you from your obligations and texting you that she would is not binding on her.

If the two of you are together on a lease with the landlord, it's not up to her to release you from your obligations, it's up to the landlord and he would be unlikely to do so with only about two months left until expiration.

You can, of course, buy your way out of the lease by offering cash to whoever your landlord is.

I am wanting to know how can I go about taking my name off a lease, the lease is up July 31,2016, my room mate agreed via text to take my name off, but now that it comes down to it she doesn't want to take my name off the lease. I have found another apartment and that is the only thing holding me back to getting the apartment. Is there anything I can do?

You give notice to the landlord that you won't be renewing your lease.
You make sure you do it in writing, certified letter, or priority mail, no later than 15 June. I'd do it sooner, as no later than 01 June.

Remember, to the real landlord, read your lease to be sure.
Keep copies of the letter, the proof of delivery. Provide a forwarding address, even if its a friend, relative, in case your deal is delayed.

Back