Suspension/Expulsion

jazzdana

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi

My daughter went to a football game for her High School and evidently she got in line for the concession stand. When she got in line she was next to school officer and he smelled cannabis(weed).
When they searched her they found a Taser that looks exactly like a cell phone. 1 joint some mase and some ibprofin over the counter pills for cramps. She was arrested but all charges were dropped and her attorney(Public Defender) says that she never should have been arrested. Regardless of that she was given a 10 day suspension pending further action from her school. The school hearing is today and they are to let me know the outcome. Not sure of what to do here.
Please advise

The school hearing is today and they are to let me know the outcome. Not sure of what to do here.
Please advise

As a parent, YOU are entitled to appear at the hearing.

You are allowed to advocate for your daughter, or at least hear first hand what transpires.

I suggest you ask when and where the hearing will be held, and announce your intention as one of her parents that you will be attending.

If she was on school property with a weapon and drugs, you are lucky they were willing to drop the charges.

That has no bearing on the school's ability or obligation to discipline her. Read the school's policies on drugs and weapons on property. Read what the school's procedure is for hearings.

Not in your state but a 10 day suspension is about the best outcome possible. In my state, expulsion is not uncommon.

Not sure of what to do here.
Please advise

Why would you do anything other than punish your daughter? Regardless of what the public defender said, your daughter committed multiple crimes. Possession of Mace/pepper spray by a minor is illegal in Illinois, as is possessing a taser/stun gun without a valid firearms ID card (it's also illegal even with the ID card on school grounds, which likely includes a school football game). Aside from these things being crimes, the school is well within its discretion to punish her for possessing these things as a school event. Also, while it's not a crime to smell like pot, that she did is not going to help her in the slightest.

Back