Surrender Parental Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kali

My daughter, now age 15, was previously living with her dad (mutual agreement) but has now decided to come live back with me (her mom) because of problems with her father. We are in the process of getting residential custody switched back to me in the courts.(I was originally granted sole custody) Her father wants to give up his parental rights cause he refuses to pay child support. He still wants to see her, but doesnt want to give me anything. I have tried to make clear to him I do not want his child support, just medical paid and a college fund set up. My fiance of 12 years will supply the rest of her needs. He will even adopt her if it does come down to this so that she can go on his medical. (Fiance and I also have a 10 yr old son together) We just feel that at the least, he should help with college. He has a house, new car and a full time job with the USPS for over 20 years, yet he claims he cant afford to help with any of his daughters expences and even said to her "you dont live with me, I owe you nothing" (BTW, I was ordered to pay him child support all these years even though I am on disability) If he gives up his parental rights with my agreement, can we still ask that a college fund be set up for our daughter? He still expects to see her, just not pay anything for her. It would be in my daughters best interest for him to give up rights so I can raise her without his interference anymore.
(Long horrible story on how awful this man has been to her)
Fiance and I are just worried about college.
Any advice would be appreciated. My court appointed attorney isnt available much :eek:

It would be almost impossible to do this. It would not be in your daughters best interest to terminate rights from a father she knows very well.

STOP listening to your ex. He has to pay child support if the child is living with you and you file. You do not have to file though, but there is no way he can be forced to pay for her college either. I would ask for child support and put it into a college fund if I were you.

No judge would likely approve this since there is an obvious parent-child relationship. You just cannot terminate rights at the drop of a hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back