Support even with no kids involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushii

Hello. I'm 20 years old and since my father isn't the best at working computers and law knowledge I'm doing this for him.

My mom has already moved out and we suspect she might have a boyfriend (if that effects things). She demands money from my dad, like paying her dentist bills and such, and when ever he tries to fight back and say no, she threatens to get lawyers involved. So my dad gives her the money she wants because he's scared that if they handle this with lawyers he'll end up paying her a lot more every month. Is this possible? There are no children but myself, so child support isn't possible. She has a job but it's seasonal, so right now during the winters she works weekends and gets unemployment checks, which she's told me is just enough to get by.

My dad makes a lot more than her. When my dad tries to tell her he doesn't get THAT much more than her, he works seasonal as well, she says they go by the gross amount not what you have after taxes and paying your employees. True?

When all this stuff first started she told me all she wanted was to sell the house, split the money and she wouldn't want any thing else, but as you see that's not happening. The house is still trying to be sold.

If things did end up in court, would she gets lots of money from my dad? She's already taken 80% of the furniture. When the house sells I might end up living with her and she wants $200 a month from me, that would be income for her as well wouldn't it and effect things?

Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention that she's been at her job for around 7 years now.

Last edited:
I am not an attorney.

Your dad does not have to pay her anything unless a court tells him to.

He might want to grow a backbone to her she will keep demanding money as long as he is willing to pay it.

One of them should file for divorce. It is probably going to be impossible to end a marriage this long without an attorney so, let mom get an attorney if she wants one, and dad can get his.

He might have to pay her some sort of alimony, not to mention they have assets to divide, and she might be entitled to some of his retirement/401k and vise versa.

He really should see an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back