Support and visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkl08

I have been paying support for 21 years the last 16 of which I have not had visitation due to the mother keeping a very busy schedule for the child. I was laid off from work for a time and am now in an arrears situation do I have any recourse because I was not even permitted to speak the the child on the phone because her calls were screened by a very bitter ex wife? The ex wife by the way did offer at one point to stop the support order if I gave up all rights to the child so her new husband could adopt her. Is there anything legally fishy about that?

If you never brought the visitation issue to court, then you have no recourse now after 16 years.

There really isn't anything fishy about her offer with regard to terminating your parental rights. If you had agreed, then legally you would no longer owe her anything but arrears. Presumably, she offered you a way to erase the arrearage as well. IMO, that's more like a negotiation than a legal quagmire.

do not sign your rights over

Yes it has been so long since your visit. You are the father and always will be the father. Hold your head up and know that you did your best. Keep doing what you can to pay the support. Keep trying to communicate with your child. Things will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back