Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Summons for Tampering with Motor Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacon

Last summer I was walking to a grocery store from a bar with a friend. I was on my phone in front of my friend when I saw a squad approach - turned around and saw my friend had opened the door to a parked car (he had no intention of stealing anything).

We gave our story and my friend admitted that I had no knowledge that he was even in the car. 7mo later I get a summons to answer a complaint for this issue and there is no mention of me not knowing about the actions of my friend before they happened.

It says this is a misdemeanor case - what should I do? Do I hire an attorney or should I show up alone and plead not guilty and explain my case? As of yet, the other party has not received a summons. Will he be brought in as well? It says max penalty is 90days/$1000....what am I likely to get with nothing on my record?

Last question - when we were questioned the night of, the arresting officer recorded conversations with us where we both said I had no part it in while being questioned separately. Will these be brought to trial? I hope so.

Thanks.

What to do? Show up at the date and time indicated. Do not under any circumstances attempt to explain anything to anyone other than an attorney who is representing you. That will not likely take place on your first visit to the court.
This initial visit will likely be so that you can be formally advised of the charges against you, and you can request an attorney be appointed to represent you at that time.
If you show up in court and say as much as you just did here then you may make things worse. As you describe it, this is a trivial matter that will quickly go away for you unless you mess things up by trying to explain.

Think there is any chance this will be wrapped up in one visit?

How does this procedure work? I wont offer up information for no reason, but is this going to be a hearing where they ask my side? If they do, how should I respond?

Think there is any chance this will be wrapped up in one visit?

How does this procedure work? I wont offer up information for no reason, but is this going to be a hearing where they ask my side? If they do, how should I respond?

Dude, nothing ever happens in ones.

Do as Deputy Moose advised, he's a lawman.

But, this will take at least two, maybe three visits.

However, lightening does sometimes strike, doesn't it?

So, appear, be polite, plead not guilty, admit to nothing, don't offer a tortured explanation, mums the word, but do request a court appointed lawyer, and the waiting starts.

Don't rush your hanging son, take it easy, this will all be wiped away one day.

Thanks for your responses guys, I appreciate it.

Couple of new questions... The other guy that is involved is from out of state and has contacted a local defense attorney and plans to try to bargain for a lesser charge, a fine/service, etc. He had a consult with the attorney and he told him that he basically has no defense, so that is why hes just trying for lesser charges. A friend of mine brought up an interesting thought and suggested that I get a notarized statement from the other party explaining that I was not involved and unaware of what he was doing. Since he feels bad about getting me involved, I think he would be willing to do this. Thoughts? Is this a good thing to get or would it be stupid to do?

Second question - Our arraignment is at the same time, should we share an attorney or bring two? Does it look bad to bring two like its overkill? If we share one and are pleading different things, is it a poor choice to share representation?

Thanks again guys

You want an attorney who represents you- forget about your dumb buddy.
Also forget about the letter, it would be meaningless. Let your attorney work it out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back