Summons for child support case

H

Hewes

Jurisdiction
Florida
I just started medical school in Europe. My father is getting mail from lawyers for me asking if I need legal assistance. I looked up my name in the public records and she filed a case. I suppose some one will try to serve me any day because there is a summons. The mother lives in Florida.

Long story short, October 2015 my ex girlfriend gave birth and said I might be the father and said she wanted nothing from me. I went to her house to visit her a week after the birth to talk about this and she called the police on me for no reason, so I left. I haven't talked to her since then and I was very busy getting into medical school.

I am on a very limited budget and school loans are not considered income. Also I do not have income for the past two years.

I looked into it further and she filed with the Florida department of revenue in March of 2016.

How can they serve me?
Can a paternity test be done overseas?
My question is how much will I be ordered to pay?
Will I have to pay retroactive support?
When does the amount start adding up?

Thank you.

You are not the father until paternity is established. That will happen one of two ways. You will either submit voluntarily or a court will order it. Not much of anything will happen as long as you are out of country. There will be no support order and nothing to add up.
Have your father, or better yet an attorney if affordable, notify the court of your absence.

Back