Summons for being in a park after dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcrafter

Hi,

I hope you can help me.

My 20-year old son and four of his friends (3 males, 1 female) were in a neighborhood park around 10:30 PM. They were just sitting looking at the view of Manhattan from that spot by the East River.

They entered the park by a side gate that was opened and did not have a sign stating closing time. A police car came around and gave the four guys a summons for "Park after dark". The girl did not have her ID with her and did not receive a summons. Also, the address on the summons is of a building nowhere near the park. Does that invalidate the summons?

The guys pleaded "not guilty" through the mail and will have to appear before criminal court for this incident.

I have been unable to ascertain the gravity of the charge, since I have not found a place where I can check out what the regulations are for the "Section 1-03; Sub A(3)" listed on the summons. Does it mean that they will have a police record? I am very confused.

Any guidance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Q: Also, the address on the summons is of a building nowhere near the park. Does that invalidate the summons?

A: No.

Thanks for your quick response, SeniorJudge! :)

So the guys are mistaken about this. What about whether or not this incident will give them a police record? These are law abiding kids.

Am I correct in thinking that they will be able to appear in court without a lawyer?

It will probably give them a record...but, really, being in the park after dark (sounds like a music festival) is hardly a felony.

Sure, they can go without a lawyer.

Thanks so much!

Sorry it took so long to response to your kind answer to my question but I have been having problems with my e-mail program.

I am relieved that, although he will have a record, it won't be for a felony. Phew! It goes to show that law abiding citizens can end up with a record quite easily.

"Being in park after dark" sure sounds like a music festival, outdoor concert, or just a neat title for a song. :biglol: It might go something like...

Got an invitation to see the judge
Written on paper, not papyrus bark
It was a summons the cop just wrote
For being in the park after dark

Again, thanks for your help. I am more at ease about this upcoming event. :) :bye:

If I can find my guitar pick, I'll set that to music.

We'll make a million....:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back