Suing Phone Company in 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

spelvin

I am suing my telephone company in small claims court, in 2 days.

I recorded my telephone conversation with the two phone company representatives who pitched my current plan to me and quoted the rate which I ultimately agreed to. I was initially billed at the agreed upon rate. Subsequent bills removed the $15 monthly discount that I was promised. The company initially would not respond to my written queries (via e-mail) about the price increase. One rep called me and (very abusively) claimed that I had agreed to the higher rate and was never charged less. (Unfortunately, he hung up before I could record him).

After filing suit, one of the two reps I spoke with initially (in the recorded conversation) wrote me a letter, claiming that the rate she quoted was an error -- and that I had been notified of this earlier. I never received any such notification and don't know how to prove it. Futhermore, I don't think I should have to pay for their errors. The call in which I agreed to the rates followed months of not being able to get a straight answer about the cost of the particular bundle I was seeking (POTS landline + fiber Internet access). I had quite a bit of discussion about the rates with the two women who called me. They insisted on selling me a digital voice line, rather than the copper one. I balked at the initial quote, then utlimately agreed to the discounted rate when they discovered that I qualified for it. This company has been repeatedly fined in jurisdictions all over the country for engaging in just this sort of bait and switch tactic.

The phone company lawyers have been trying to negotiate a settlement with me out of court -- all of them which require me to simply pay the higher rate. I couldn't decipher their latest postion, so I turned it down. They seemed to be trying to get me to agree with language that would make the contract fall under the Statute of Frauds, or not fall under it. Sorry to be so vague, but their prose was so contorted that I really couldn't tell what they were trying to do. And I honestly don't know whether the statute of frauds applies or does not apply in this case.

Here are a few facts that I believe may be relevant:

The company first offered me a contract for a fixed period of 2 years (in the recorded telephone conversation). I turned it down, saying that I plan to move in a couple of months. I didn't know then and don't yet know if I will keep the same phone company after I move. So, our verbal contact is for an indefinate period, but could be completed in less than a year. I can cancel it at any time without penalty. My phone bills contain long, complicated, legal language, in a very small typeface -- but no signatures. I have never signed any agreement with this company. When I pay my bills, I note that I am disputing their figures right on the check (in red ink). I pay promptly and in full, so they can't shut off my phone (which they have tried to do, in spite of this).

I would appreciate any advice - especially a citation of case law that makes any relevant point. My position is that the phone company knew or should have known its own rates. I relied on their word and feel that they should be held accountable for it.

Are you certain you complied with the law when you recorded the phone call? You could potentially find yourself in a jam over that depending on your state laws.

What are you hoping to achieve in small claims? A refund of the amount you believe you have overpaid?

When the change in rates was made, why didn't you simply cancel the service and change providers?

I suspect they are telling you that the rate has remained the same, but that the discount you initially had expired or was otherwise discontinued.

I'm not sure you will get far, but if others locally have had this same problem then you might make some progress.

NY State Law permits one party consent to record or monitor phone conversations.

I am hoping to compel the phone company to re-instate the rate as was quoted.

You are correct in that they are now telling me that I did not qualify from the discount applied to my account for the first two bills. (It was their own representatives that told me about the discount when I balked at the rate they quoted.) This was not always their position. At first they tried to claim that I had agreed to the higher price and offered no explanation for the discount being applied to the first two bills (until I produced copies). Then they simply refused to answer my written inquires about the bill (apparently in violation of State law (16 N.Y.C.R.R. sec 609.13).

I am pursing this because every month there has been some sort of false charge on my bill. I get a run around or refusals to answer every time I question or dispute a charge. It ultimately agrees to a refund, then renegs or finds some new way to cheat me. I felt strongly that I could not rely on this company to honor any agreement made outside of court.

I am hoping to compel the phone company to re-instate the rate as was quoted.

You won't get that in small claims. Small claims will award a dollar amount if anything, so you need to have a realistic idea of what your damages are. As you describe it, your damages are $15 per month for however many months you have been without your discount.

Personally, I don't see that you are going to get anywhere with that. When you no longer had the rate you wanted you could have ended the service without penalty. You have chosen to keep the service. If you are unhappy with your service you can still cancel it and get a new carrier.

A small claims court doesn't have the power to order specific performance or to issue injunctive relief.

You're taking your complaint before the wrong venue.

That notwithstanding, you have no real damages.

Why?

You have no contract.

Your recordings, again notwithstanding, you have no substantive proof.

You're also going against lawyers. Those lawyers will never allow your tape to be admitted into evidence.

Why? You'll never be able to lay a foundation to support their authenticity and truthfulness.

You need to give this up before you find yourself paying the company's lawyers!!!!

The phone company has not contested what was said on the tape.

I am suing for $15 for the first month of the overcharge. While waiting for trial, the phone company issued another bill, charging me another $15. My intent was to sue them again, next month, and every month after that.

The phone company has not contested what was said on the tape.

I am suing for $15 for the first month of the overcharge. While waiting for trial, the phone company issued another bill, charging me another $15. My intent was to sue them again, next month, and every month after that.

My goodness, $15, whole US Dollars.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back