Suing my sponsor

mragaa

Jurisdiction
Iowa
Hi,

I've been on a scholarship for postgraduate degree in the US. The sponsor was my country's embassy. After graduation, the university told me the embassy stopped paying its committments hence I won't receive any diploma, certificate, etc. (They gave me one copy of each by mistake) plus I now personally owe the money. I reached out to the embassy but to no avail. I'm considering suing the embassy for the remaining balance and for compensation for the opportunities missed as I'm stuck unable to apply for positions without the university sharing my transcript. I'd appreciate it if you could help me with the following questions:
1- Which attorney specialty I should hire?
2- How long (approx.) does such a case take?
3- Can I file the case in my current state, not in the university's or the embassy's states?
4- In general sense, is this a good strategy for the case? are my claims viable in the court of law?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt that you'll be able to successfully sue the embassy of a sovereign nation in any US court.

In all likelihood, an embassy is only the diplomatic arm of a government.

As you now reside in Texas, the embassy of your unnamed nation to the United States is located in Washington, DC, not Iowa.

Your country may have had a consulate in Iowa, but not an embassy.

You're free to talk to a Texas licensed attorney, able to practice in the federal court system.

As an Iowa and Texas licensed attorney, able to practice in all federal courts, I don't see any path for you to successfully sue any sovereign nation from the USA.

You could speak with attorneys in your home country and see if you possess a cause of action from your homeland.

Know this, (Rex non potest peccare) you can't sue the sovereign, unless the sovereign agrees to be sued; because "the king can do no wrong".

Even if there was an astronomically remote chance of you mounting a successful lawsuit against your country's government, it could take years and a barrel full of money.

You would be better served by figuring out how to pay the bills, get your papers, and get a job.

Well, it's not the answer I hoped for, but it's more than helpful. Thank you so much. You saved me a lot of extra damages in a lost cause. I guess I'll follow your kind advice and see how I'm gonna cough up this money. Thank you again.

Back