Suing my Ex

Charles harris

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Back in 2011 me and my ex had to break a lease due to decline in living situations and landlord not taking care of it, meanwhile not violating laws or my rights. I had to do what was best for my newborn. 2016 we broke up.

In February 2019 I got garnished. I had no idea of any case. Turned out in 2014 she got a garnishment for the same but quit her job and never let me know.

I understand a suit is judged based of preponderance of the evidence. If I show the lease proving we were cotenants and Anne are both listed on the case. Could that convince a judge to grant me relief.

I challenged the debtor on my service and we agreed my amount would be capped at 4000.00, then the remaining they would pursue her for appx total of 1400.00. I'm asking for half of the 4000.00.

Last edited:
If I show the lease proving we were cotenants and Anne are both listed on the case. Could that convince a judge to grant me relief.

No. You were both jointly and severally bound to the lease. That means that a judgment against both of you can be collected in full from either of you and the creditor will go after whoever has the money.

Unless you have a separate contract with her as to who pays what you have no grounds to sue her for anything.

I challenged the debtor on my service and we agreed my amount would be capped at 4000.00,

Did you get that in writing?

No. You were both jointly and severally bound to the lease. That means that a judgment against both of you can be collected in full from either of you and the creditor will go after whoever has the money.

Unless you have a separate contract with her as to who pays what you have no grounds to sue her for anything.

Did you get that in writing?
Yes, it's a court order.

Back in 2011 me and my ex had to break a lease due to decline in living situations and landlord not taking care of it, meanwhile not violating laws or my rights. I had to do what was best for my newborn. 2016 we broke up.

Is this an ex-spouse or an ex-girlfriend.

I got garnished.

What does this mean? One can garnish wages. One can garnish other types of assets. But it's not possible to garnish a person. If you're saying that your landlord has garnished your wages, then that means the landlord sued you and got a judgment.

I understand a suit is judged based of preponderance of the evidence. If I show the lease proving we were cotenants and Anne are both listed on the case. Could that convince a judge to grant me relief.

I'm not sure what this means, but the answer is no. Presumably, the landlord sued you and your ex-girlfriend and got a judgment against both of you. The landlord is allowed to try and enforce that judgment against either or both of you, and each of you is liable for the full amount of the judgment. You are free to sue your ex-girlfriend for contribution to recover half of what is garnished from you.

I challenged the debtor on my service and we agreed my amount would be capped at 4000.00, then the remaining they would pursue her for appx total of 1400.00. I'm asking for half of the 4000.00.

Huh?

Back