Subpoena my coworkers?

Jolly83

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I have been threatened by somebody they want to sue me for stalking online but I contacted lawyer who said there is no case against me based on what happened.
I have not received any documents but I heard my coworkers received subpoenas from the lawyer in our company. Is it possible this person who said they want to sue me contacted my work and wants testimonies from my coworkers? I have trouble accessing court system to see if there is a case pending against me.

I have been threatened by somebody they want to sue me for stalking online but I contacted lawyer who said there is no case against me based on what happened.
I have not received any documents but I heard my coworkers received subpoenas from the lawyer in our company. Is it possible this person who said they want to sue me contacted my work and wants testimonies from my coworkers? I have trouble accessing court system to see if there is a case pending against me.

Keep trying.
Ask a trusted friend to try for you.

In the interim, stop talking about this, don't ask your co-workers or anyone BUT your lawyer about this.

Keep trying.
Ask a trusted friend to try for you.

In the interim, stop talking about this, don't ask your co-workers or anyone BUT your lawyer about this.
Thank you but what do you mean ask a trusted friend? I don't have one at work and maybe I should contact the lawyer at work who apparently sent those notices to my coworkers?
Is it possible the person suing me is recklessly asking for subpoenas to my coworkers without having a case, just as in discovery period before they file a lawsuit ? Is this even legal to contact somebody's coworkers who are irrelevant?

Is it possible the person suing me is recklessly asking for subpoenas to my coworkers without having a case, just as in discovery period before they file a lawsuit ?

Subpoenas don't get typically get issued until the lawsuit has been filed because they generally need a case number and the court's signature.

The discovery period doesn't start until the lawsuit is filed and the defendant files an answer.

Is this even legal to contact somebody's coworkers who are irrelevant?

There's nothing illegal about people contacting people for information in preparation for a lawsuit. Relevance is in the eye of the beholder.

maybe I should contact the lawyer at work who apparently sent those notices to my coworkers?

Maybe you should. I can't imagine why your company's lawyer would be involved in serving subpoenas on employees.

Subpoenas don't get typically get issued until the lawsuit has been filed because they generally need a case number and the court's signature.

The discovery period doesn't start until the lawsuit is filed and the defendant files an answer.

There's nothing illegal about people contacting people for information in preparation for a lawsuit. Relevance is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe you should. I can't imagine why your company's lawyer would be involved in serving subpoenas on employees.

Thank you
You used words like typically and generally, do it means that or could happen otherwise?

I'm very confused as I'm not 100% sure the subpoenas regard me but should I be notified if they do?
At what point should I be contacted by the party that sues me?

Another option is can they sued me as Jon doe and not use my name so I wouldn't know if I ask court?

If you wish to protect yourself, HIRE a lawyer, don't solicit FREE advice about issues you believe to be important.

Internet sites are best used for discussions about traffic tickets, neighbor disputes, or things that annoy you.

Things that could affect your assets or your freedom, you serve yourself best to HIRE a lawyer.

You also don't help yourself by discussing legal matters with anyone BUT your attorney.

If you are being sued you would know.
Based on the information you give it appears you are not... At least not yet.

I suggest you chill a bit. Relax, live your life, don't worry about it.

Stop talking about the whole thing, and whatever activities you might have engaged in that initiated this concern certainly should stop.

It sounds as if this is all work related. If anything happens it will likely be handled there, not in the courts. Just my guess based on what you provided.

The more you worry about this and try to fix it or talk about it the more you will likely harm yourself. Put it behind you.

If you are being sued you would know.
Based on the information you give it appears you are not... At least not yet.

I suggest you chill a bit. Relax, live your life, don't worry about it.

Stop talking about the whole thing, and whatever activities you might have engaged in that initiated this concern certainly should stop.

It sounds as if this is all work related. If anything happens it will likely be handled there, not in the courts. Just my guess based on what you provided.

The more you worry about this and try to fix it or talk about it the more you will likely harm yourself. Put it behind you.

Thank you, I'm trying to relax. It has nothing to do with coworkers, I called out a person on an internet forum and I think they try to retaliate. I did it once and it never happened again. That why I'm confused why all of the sudden coworkers are getting requests for information with subpoenas in their names.

If what you say is true then it is very unlikely you committed any crime and they're is nothing to worry about.

Unless your one comment included credible threats... Then maybe.

I heard my coworkers received subpoenas from the lawyer in our company.

You heard this? What exactly does that mean? Did any individual show you a subpoena that he/she had received? If so, that should give you a lot of information. Also, a subpoena is an order from the court (which can be issued by an attorney for a party to a pending action or by the court) that directs someone to give testimony and/or produce documents. It would make no sense for your employer's in-house attorney (presumably what you mean by "the lawyer in our company") to serve a subpoena on any fellow employee.

Is it possible this person who said they want to sue me contacted my work and wants testimonies from my coworkers?

Sure. Just about anything is possible.

maybe I should contact the lawyer at work who apparently sent those notices to my coworkers?

So...now its "notices," not subpoenas? Whether you contact your employer's in-house attorney is obviously up to you.

Is it possible the person suing me is recklessly asking for subpoenas to my coworkers without having a case, just as in discovery period before they file a lawsuit ?

This doesn't even make sense.

Is this even legal to contact somebody's coworkers who are irrelevant?

There are no laws that preclude a person from contacting any other person, and "relevancy" is a concept that only exists in legal proceedings, and disputes over relevancy are resolved by the judge.

You used words like typically and generally, do it means that or could happen otherwise?

There are no circumstances in which a subpoena relating to a civil case can be issued without a case being filed (criminal subpoenas are very different, and I don't have any familiarity with the relevant procedures).

I'm very confused as I'm not 100% sure the subpoenas regard me but should I be notified if they do?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of factors.

At what point should I be contacted by the party that sues me?

"Should"? I don't have great familiarity with the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure, but plaintiffs are typically required to serve defendants within 60-90 days after filing suit.

Another option is can they sued me as Jon doe and not use my name so I wouldn't know if I ask court?

The only reason for anyone to file a "John Doe" lawsuit is if the plaintiff doesn't know the defendant's true identity. This happens a lot in cases arising out of online context. For example, you might want to sue me, but you don't know who I am because I post under a screen name. Therefore, you could sue "zddoodah" and seek one or more subpoenas to try and discover my true identity. If you can't discover my true identity, then your lawsuit cannot proceed.

Until you ascertain additional information, there is no point in continuing things here any further.

Thank you everyone for time in this case! I confirmed today that the subpoena and case is about somebody else!!!! I am relieved. Case closed.

Back