Roomate Sublease agreement Los Angeles - Rent Control

LosAngelopes

Jurisdiction
California
I'm the sole tenant on a lease for an apartment in Los Angeles. My landlord has agreed to let me sublet the other rooms in the place.

I want to have a month-to-month sublease agreement with my subtenants in which they give me a 30 day notice to move out and I can give them a 30 day notice to move out (or 60 if they've been here more than a year) just as would be the case with a normal month-to-month rental agreement.

However, the apartment falls under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance. I would like to know if the "just cause" protection from that ordinance also applies to a sublease agreement I would would sign with my subtenant? If so, is there a way for them to waive those rights? Would that be legal?

What you're attempting to do will lead to great regret.

You can't legally contract away a right or rights.

If you sublet, those foolish enough to do so, inherit all of your rights.

Furthermore, rent controlled apartments have guidelines beyond normal rental units.

Last, but worthy of your utmost consideration, many people who sublet aren't credit worthy, have issues paying their rent, live from pillar to post, have criminal pasts, abuse drugs, have mental health challenges, refuse to follow rules of civility, don't play well with others, and practice poor hygiene.

Abandon this notion, lest you jeopardize your own tenancy, put your life at risk, encounter great turbulence in your living situation, and get stiffed on any expected rental income.

Thanks for your swift response!

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find decent roommates, so I'm not too worried about that. I was a subletter for a long time and I don't see myself as a liability. :)

One question, what do you mean by the following?

If you sublet, those foolish enough to do so, inherit all of your rights.

Thanks!

Thanks for your swift response!

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find decent roommates, so I'm not too worried about that. I was a subletter for a long time and I don't see myself as a liability. :)

One question, what do you mean by the following?

Thanks!

The words are very clear.
The rights you enjoy as a renter, those who sublet through you will enjoy too.

However, the apartment falls under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance. I would like to know if the "just cause" protection from that ordinance also applies to a sublease agreement I would would sign with my subtenant? If so, is there a way for them to waive those rights? Would that be legal?

No.

You would be the landlord to your subtenant and subject to the same obligations that your landlord has to you.

I suggest you thoroughly and carefully study the LA RSO and understand what you are getting into before you get into it.

Also make sure you get the sublease consent from your landlord in writing.

Back