Student purposely broke my laptop?

veoozo

Jurisdiction
New York
I am in high school, and my school has a bring your own device policy that allows students to bring their own laptops and tablets. This kid today picked up my bag and said "I hope theirs nothing valuable in here" and then dropped it on the ground. I just found out when I got home that the laptop is completely broken, the screen, keyboard, chassis, body, etc. are all smashed in and shattered. This is a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which cost me $1300. I am furious and do not know what to do. No phone number to my school is currently being answered (it is Friday). The policy for BYOD states that damage to property is not the fault of the school. I was not able to check the condition of the computer after it was purposely dropped because the final bell had rung just after the incident to go home. I am realizing that I screwed up by not having time to inspect the laptop because it was last block just before the bell rang. I am not sure if anybody else heard it, but he did purposely drop it after I said that my laptop was in it. Do I honestly have a legal stance here? I have emailed my superintendent, principal, assistant principal, and guidance counselor. I took photos of the damage, the laptop, the case, and the bag exactly as it was. I was with two friends that can vouch for me for two hours after school, I was not going into my bag. It was two hours after school that I left my friends and went inside and discovered it. I have another friend that I walked to my bus with, so I guess that he could vouch that I did not drop my bag going to the bus. I have a teacher that may have seen the laptop in perfect condition earlier in the day. What do you think? I had an idea of trying to secretly record on my phone me approaching him and in a joking way asking about him dropping the bag and say like a pen broke or something, just to get him to say that he did indeed break it. Thanks

You can try to get him to FESS up, but if you do, so what?

I suggest you get your parents involved, because unless you're BOTH 18 years old, even less you can do, LEGALLY.

I don't think he'll cop to it, and even if he did, I doubt he'd pony up the coin.

Your legal beef is with the kid who broke the laptop. Most likely this will require that your parents take his parents to small claims court. If you have a warranty on the laptop or it is covered under a parent's insurance policy, you might be able to get it fixed that way.

Back