student lunch rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbowles

When I picked up my 6th grader Friday, he informed me that he was not allowed to eat lunch that day. I questioned him and he said that he was removed from the lunch room and sent to an upstairs classroom to do work. He was eating an apple from his lunch when the teacher came in and informed him that he was not allowed to eat in the classroom. I tried speaking to her on the phone and whe wouldn't even acknowledge the question of whether he was allowed to eat. In fact, she wouldn't even let me speak. My husband and I immediately went back to the school to speak with the principal and he swore that he saw my son in the cafeteria with a tray. Problem is that he couldn't have a tray-he packs his lunch. Can the teacher and/or school deny him his lunch and make him do work instead?

They probably should not even if they could.

This sounds like something that can be cleared up with a quick sit down with the principal and the staff involved. I suspect it was a mix-up and unless this is a pattern, it is likely that they can make sure it does not happen again.

Of course, they CAN probably make him eat his lunch in the classroom while he does his work. So if work is a problem, perhaps that is what needs to be done for a time.

This does not have to be a big ta-do.

- Carl

We've already had a sit down with the principal. He says that he saw my son with a tray of food. Even demonstrated the tray in front of him. Problem is my son packs his lunch; has for years.

Monday I plan on visiting the teacher before school. After the phone conversation I had with her, this will be interesting.

Also, the work issue, apparently this is a problem for a lot of kids. There were a lot of students working during lunch and they were all working on the same item-a spelling packet that is handed out from the teacher that wouldn't let him eat. He had mentioned it before and I suggested he bring it home and finish it. He said he wasn't allowed to remove it from the school. The principal says thats not true, yet it seems funny that nearly her whole class is having to work on it during lunch. I'm not saying my son wouldn't lie but he knows I have no tolerance for it and that there are consequences if he does. And this child is a big pacifist.

Most school lunch systems here have a computerized list of children who pay for lunch in any one day. Tell the Principal that your son doesn't buy lunch so if he had a tray to please show you where he apparently bought his lunch. When he changes his story you need to press him a little more. There is something that stinks about this story. You also need to get together with the other parents. If this is a pattern, find an attorney.

I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill here. This could just be an error and not some intentional violation of some kid's "right" to eat lunch.

In my wife's classroom there are a number of children that occasionally lose their lunch privileges and have to return to the classroom or to another room to work while they eat. This could be the situation here, and maybe they thought he had eaten, or was sitting with a kid who had a tray ... I mean, let's try to resolve the situation before we start talking about attorneys!

- Carl

I agree if this is a one time thing. The OP seems to indicate that this is a pattern among several classmates who claim a teacher withholds lunch as a punishment.

I read that the kids were working during lunch, but not that other lunches were being withheld. Even if withheld, that seems simple to rectify. I don't think that dialing up the attorneys at this stage of the game is worth the expense to both sides of the issue. If it becomes enough of an issue, there is always the superintendent and the school board.

Very few issues require an attorney in order to get it resolved. I have found that almost without exception there is a process to either get a matter resolved or obtain an explanation without resorting to attorneys.

- Carl

I'm not looking to hire an attorney right now. I just wanted information before I went back. You didn't have the conversation I had with the teacher. Or should I say the lack of. This isn't the first time I have had problems with this school district. My oldest son had enough issues that his pediatrician said I had a lawsuit and that he would testify.

Right now I want info so I can go in armed with what they are and are not allowed to do.

The teacher wouldn't speak with me and the principal told me I shouldn't have tried to talk to her. He also said that he couldn't give my son special treatment-how would that make the other kids feel? I didn't ask for special treatment-just that he be allowed to eat. I also asked to see where my son purchased lunch and when he asked why and I told him (which I probably shouldn't) he changed the subject without acknowledging it.
I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back