Store failed to factory reset and I was hacked

Rossescapes

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I recently returned a Smart TV that links to your Google account. I informed them that i had not performed a factory reset, and they assured me that they would. I picked out another tv and as I check out I inquired about the factory reset and was told they completed it. 2 days ago my wife and I was viewing YouTube on my new TV and thought it was strange that it was recommending risque videos. The search history had very graphic phrases in it. I checked my Google activity and seen that someone was using my account. I went to the Store and informed them and they confirmed the TV was sold and they would attempt to handle it.
This has caused a lot of tension in my house. What can I do?

I recently returned a Smart TV that links to your Google account. I informed them that i had not performed a factory reset, and they assured me that they would. I picked out another tv and as I check out I inquired about the factory reset and was told they completed it. 2 days ago my wife and I was viewing YouTube on my new TV and thought it was strange that it was recommending risque videos. The search history had very graphic phrases in it. I checked my Google activity and seen that someone was using my account. I went to the Store and informed them and they confirmed the TV was sold and they would attempt to handle it.
This has caused a lot of tension in my house. What can I do?

Change your password, because you hold the email account.

Heck, I'd delete the account, thereby making the hackers efforts useless.

As far as liability, this is all on you, mate.

Never trust anyone to do something that protects your interests, only trust yourself.

I agree.
It was your responsibility to remove your information from the TV before returning it, regardless of assurances the store employees made. You accepted that risk when you trusted them to do it for you.
As above, just delete the account and create a new one. If that creates too much of a headache then just change the password. Problem solved.
There is no underlying legal issue here.

love it.... Let's blame someone else for our mistake. You should have reset it.... because it was YOUR information. Your property at the time.... Look in the mirror and punch the one that screwed up. YOU

I listened to General Kelly's remarks today, and he expressed exactly what I've felt for 50 years.

I am not alone.

Back