Storage unit ex belongings

R

Robyn1079

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I have a storagr unit in my name ex boyfriend has his belongings in the unit also. I want to put a 30 day notice as I can't afford. We broke up and he won't get stuff what can i do.

A good argument for not getting financially involved with boyfriends. Learn that well for the future.

The SAFEST thing for you to do is treat him as a tenant of your storage unit and follow the Oregon statute that addresses tenant's abandoned property. It is 90.425. It's long and involved so read it carefully and follow it to the letter. Scroll down about halfway:

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors090.html

Another option is to pay for the current month and send written notice to the ex that he needs to get his stuff by the end of the month or the storage company will claim it and sell it at auction. There is some financial risk to you if he doesn't comply by the end of the month as the storage company may come after you for additional charges.

Just to add to @adjusterjack 's great post, if he won't get his stuff and you have proof, that may be considered abandonment. Make sure you've provided him with notice about the timing. If so, I doubt your ex will have any credibility in the very unlikely case he tries to take you to court. The other option might be to take all the items out so you can avoid any charges the storage company may charge you for disposal of abandoned items. They may sell them at auction and use it to offset any charges against you - which might be less than the amount stated for which they can bill you for the privilege.

Back