Storage- my stuff in storage of family memeber

I read other posts about the same situation im going through and they said i could just go straight to the unit with the police to keep the peace and cut the lock replace it with another lock and give her the code...
Actually its a post you wrote army judge? But why cant it work with my situation? Is it because i am in a different jurisdiction: new york?

It might work.
You'll need proof you're on the lease.
You'll also need cooperation from law enforcement.
You get 15-20 minutes to collect your stuff.
Most people don't get it all.
They do get a lot of it.
Call the police or sheriff an ask about it.

From what I gather about your situation, small claims might be your best option.
Judge Judy, or one of the other TV legal shows is even better.
Why?
Because, even if you lose, you get paid (plus you get a free mini-vacation).

You'll have to give us a link to that other thread so we can make sure you aren't misreading something.

I can't see the police even responding to you let alone stand by while you break into a storage unit where the account is in somebody else's name and you have absolutely no evidence except your sayso that anything in it belongs to you.

It might work.
You'll need proof you're on the lease.
You'll also need cooperation from law enforcement.
You get 15-20 minutes to collect your stuff.
Most people don't get it all.
They do get a lot of it.
Call the police or sheriff an ask about it.

From what I gather about your situation, small claims might be your best option.
Judge Judy, or one of the other TV legal shows is even better.
Why?
Because, even if you lose, you get paid (plus you get a free mini-vacation).

Oh okay
Wow thats nice didnt even know that. Not that i want to do that or consider it be cause of the min vacay but thank you.

The link is belowe
Ex boyfriend withholding belongings

Oh okay
Wow thats nice didnt even know that. Not that i want to do that or consider it be cause of the min vacay but thank you.

The link is belowe
Ex boyfriend withholding belongings

What's the value of all your stuff today?

Not what you paid for it ten years ago, but what someone would pay you today to buy it, if anything.

If its just sentimental junk, offer your former pal $400, $200, gotta pay to get dude to play with you; and to meet you, let you grab your junk, leave the facility, and you pay him in cash outside the gate.

Money talks, all else gets balks!!!

But if you won't pay, forget about it.
Let it rot, keep your money.
Buy new stuff.

In that instance I believe BOTH names were on the rental agreement (or both parties were known to storage management) and law enforcement agreed to the plan.

You can always ask.

Your problem is obtaining access to the storage facility and then the unit.

If its by key code, it's easier than if you must use a device, a key card, or even a key to a gate, then the storage building.

YMMV

How will the police know what is your stuff and what is hers? They won't. They can't just take your word that the stuff is yours.

Back