Storage- my stuff in storage of family memeber

K

Kelc

Jurisdiction
New York
My sister and I share a storage unit. She moved out after a disagreement and her name is on the unit. I asked her for my stuff back, but she unwilling to give them back to me. I talked to the storage facility and they said she must come with me back to the unit to take my things out. Im really stuck on what I should next.

Why not take your own things out and move them to your own storage unit rented solely in YOUR name?

Because:

It's his sister's storage unit, not his, and he can't get into it without his sister opening it up for him. And she's apparently not cooperating.

Which leads precisely to my point OP, oh, you're not the OP, just his spokesperson; anyway, my point is don't become roommates, and don't go halfsies with people when renting storage units, IF your name isn't on the paperwork.

In this situation, nothing is going to change unless the OWNER, the person RENTING the storage unit has a change of heart.

My guess, not bloody likely, not bloody soon.

It isn't stolen.
Write your sister a demand letter that your property be made accessible to you by a certain date several days from now. If she cooperates, great.
If she doesn't cooperate you can initiate a small claims suit seeking the value of the property she is keeping from you. You can also try to get other family members to pressure her into cooperating without things getting more messy.

If you physically have access to the storage unit I'd say just go get your stuff. You can't steal your own property.

I think what Kelc means is that they lived together like an apartment or something?

Anyway, lest say he does write a letter but her sister doesnt reply or denies access, couldnt he report it stolen if his sister isnt allowing him access to it and ask the police to be at the unit with him, cut the lock, get his stuff and replace the lock?

Anyway, lest say he does write a letter but her sister doesnt reply or denies access, couldnt he report it stolen if his sister isnt allowing him access to it and ask the police to be at the unit with him, cut the lock, get his stuff and replace the lock?

Nope, he would be filing a false police report. It's a civil matter and the police are certainly not going to stand by while he breaks into somebody else's property.

OP is just going to have to go to court over this.

Sorrt then, I thought it would help Kelc.
I just saw it on other posts about stuff like this. I guess stick to writting that letter and cross your fingers

No we lived together: brother sister mother and father. She moved out after my dad and her had a disaggrement cause she wanted to go to some ruddy concert in brooklyn. But she hasnt communicated with me or my parents about the unit ever since she left our apartment. I repeateldy called and texted and after a few texts she said she wouldn't give my stuff back. And i am sitting here thinking like dude if you don't want anything to do with our family why do you want to keep MY stuff? (I dont want an answer for that though.) I just want my stuff back and court seems like a process.

Like a long proccess and she would do the same. Not saying that if I have to do so I wouldn't, it just seems like a long proccess for just a small amount of things that i have in there.

Like a long proccess and she would do the same. Not saying that if I have to do so I wouldn't, it just seems like a long proccess for just a small amount of things that i have in there.

Try this.

Go on to your local small claims court website. Print out a complaint form. Fill it out but don't file it yet. Write her a letter demanding that she open up the storage unit for you by such and such a date or you will file the complaint and sue her for the X dollars that your belongings are worth. Attach a copy of the complaint to the letter to show that you mean business.

If she doesn't come across by the deadline date, file your lawsuit.

I think what Kelc means is that they lived together like an apartment or something?

You and Kelc are the SAME person.
How do I know?
You both are posting from the same IP address. LOL

I read other posts about the same situation im going through and they said i could just go straight to the unit with the police to keep the peace and cut the lock replace it with another lock and give her the code...
Actually its a post you wrote army judge? But why cant it work with my situation? Is it because i am in a different jurisdiction: new york?

Back