Stolen Property

Amir Shakur

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
I rented out a room and I've been living there for about 2 months. Never had a problem with the person who let me stay there and never had a reason to even talk to the person because for the most part we're both at work all of the time.

Almost 2 weeks before Christmas , I paid this person $450 and that would've secured the room until the end of , January 2020. Well 5 days before Christmas, the person I rented the room from , without any notice just got up and left the apartment along with all of their property. Which basically left me stranded because I'm not on the lease at all.

At this point, I'm broke with no transportation so I can't move my things out of the apartment. Christmas day arrives and I head home which is pretty far from the apartment but I'm only gone for about a days time. When I come back to the apartment I find that all of my property has been stolen. I immediately call the police and made a report. The authorities have concluded that there was no forced entry so someone with a key had entered the apartment.

As of right now , I cannot prove it was my roommate but i can prove that they left me vulnerable to theft by their negligence.

There's more to the story but that's the basics.

I'd suspect the landlord cleaned it out to rent to someone new. It shouldn't have happened, but it's possible.
If you had renters insurance you might be compensated for your loss.
I would be contacting the landlord, or asking the police to do so.

Well I spoke to the landlord and she said that no one had been in the apartment because it was Christmas and everyone was off that day. I don't know if I can trust her but it is a possibility.

Back