Stolen property

Status
Not open for further replies.

randysmojo

I had a guitar stolen out of my house, allong with other items, three years ago. The thief was imprisoned for the crime, and is still in. Last week I found my long lost guitar in a used music store. I called the police department that handled my case to let them know, and put the guitar on lay-away so it couldn't be sold to anyone else. The police department has notified the store that it was stolen, but the store doesn't want to be out any money on the guitar. How does the law work since they didn't know it was stolen when they bought it, but now do? Are they intitled to get their money back some how, and since the case was closed and the thief sentenced to prison and ordered to pay restitution when he gets out, can the court order him to pay the music store? This guitar was very special to me, and if I could afford it, I would gladly pay them for it, but I can't. Is there any law that says they have to give it back?

randysmojo said:
I had a guitar stolen out of my house, allong with other items, three years ago. The thief was imprisoned for the crime, and is still in. Last week I found my long lost guitar in a used music store. I called the police department that handled my case to let them know, and put the guitar on lay-away so it couldn't be sold to anyone else. The police department has notified the store that it was stolen, but the store doesn't want to be out any money on the guitar. How does the law work since they didn't know it was stolen when they bought it, but now do? Are they intitled to get their money back some how, and since the case was closed and the thief sentenced to prison and ordered to pay restitution when he gets out, can the court order him to pay the music store? This guitar was very special to me, and if I could afford it, I would gladly pay them for it, but I can't. Is there any law that says they have to give it back?
The store has no claim to the guitar. They purchased stolen goods from an individual who could not convey title to the property. Provided you can prove the guitar is yours, e.g. serial number, the store is out of luck and they don't have a choice. Unfortunately there is always a loser in this case and the store's remedy is to recover the money from whom they allegedly purchased the item from. If the store refuses to return the item, you should report it to the police as stolen goods. You can give the store a "thank you" as a token of your gratitude although I'm sure it wouldn't make them happy... thems the breaks for dealing in used goods and purchasing from an unverified source. Good luck. I know I LOVE my guitar!!!

The last poster is correct

The rub is, can you prove that the guitar in question actually belonged to you at one point.

Do you have any serial number from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back