Stolen Dirtbikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyluck84

If this is posted in the wrong spot please let me know. Here's basically what happened. I had 2 dirtbikes in my name ($8k worth). One was mine, the other my buddies. His Dad gave us permission to store the bikes in his shed over winter and they'd be covered under his homeowner's insurance. Here's the shady part. The fence was cut, lock wasn't on the shed and bikes stolen and pushed out the yard before the snow was off the ground. His Dad won't file a claim for the bikes but a week or 2 after the bikes were stolen someone broke into his Dad's house and took his guns. Claim for that was obviously filed. This was a year ago and it pisses me off everyday knowing I'm paying $8k in loans and no bikes. What are my options as far as a civil case?

Last edited:
You can bring a small claims case against the homeowner.

He entered into a gratuitous bailment with you.

He had a duty of ordinary.

The bikes were stolen.

File a police report and bring the case.

You have an excellent chance at recovery of the value of the goods.

If you have insurance on the bikes, you can file the claim against your comprehensive portion of your policy.

Either way, file a police report and get going.

Once you serve him notice of your lawsuit, you'll force him to file against his home owners policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A police report has been filed. I have a copy. This happened atleast a year ago.

I was not with when the bikes were taken there however it's obvious permission was given to store them there.

I didn't have insurance on the bikes, just where I previously stored them in a storage unit but was full.

Is there a specific kind of lawyer I should get or do I not need one?

Is there a time limit I have to do this?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
A lawyer would be helpful.
A lawyer might charge you about $1,000 to $1,500 in my area.
I'm not sure in your area.
You can do it yourself in small claims court.
Usually you have two years (sometimes more) to bring these types of cases.
You should have no problem with the statute of limitations.

DANIELLE MCDOWE said:
Except in VERY unusual circumstances expert witnesses are not subject to subpoena. A subpoena can, generally speaking, only be used to require the testimony of a testamentary witness.

Is that what you think?

Or, are you simply trying to increase your post count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back