1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

stipulation greater than the amount awarded in judgment Extension, Renewal

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by Dannielle, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Dannielle

Dannielle Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    Hi there,
    I am a landlord and had a tenant in a "holdover" case because they were staying in the apartment without a lease for 2 months. They did not pay in that time period. I got them to sign a stipulation saying that they would pay rent and legal fees, but the judgment says that they owe $0. Do I have any recourse to get the amount agreed to in the stipulation?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

The time to have made a case for what you allege the tenant agreed to pay was during the eviction proceeding.

However, you could try to seek a judgment on the agreement the deadbeat signed before a small claims court.

I'd let it go, been there done that, and deadbeats rarely pay.

You could end up with a judgment saying DEADBEAT DAVE owes HONEST Landlord $5,000.

Let's face it, you'll never collect anything from a deadbeat.
    You'll only end up more frustrated.
    But, if you think you can collect, assuming you get the judgment, go for it!

Good luck, happy hunting.

3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

If you believe it's worth the time & trouble, you can try suing in small claims court. However; even if you win, you have to collect on the judgment. The court does not collect it for you.

Dannielle likes this.
  4. Dannielle

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Dannielle

Thank you, Betty.

Could you look at my reply to the other person who comment and answer those questions, if you have a moment?