Arraignment, Bail, Bonds, Pretrial Stephens County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecherkee73

A friend's grandson was arrested in Nov. 2012, a very high bond was set $2.5 million. He has an attorney. There has only been one court date set but the DA was not prepared so it was delayed. The DA has released what my be all the evidence they have. It doesn't seem like there is much against the grandson, but he remains in jail. The question is how long can he be held and is there any way to get a lower bond until the court actually considers the case?

A friend's grandson was arrested in Nov. 2012, a very high bond was set $2.5 million. He has an attorney. There has only been one court date set but the DA was not prepared so it was delayed. The DA has released what my be all the evidence they have. It doesn't seem like there is much against the grandson, but he remains in jail. The question is how long can he be held and is there any way to get a lower bond until the court actually considers the case?

The DA has released SOME information about the case. Trust me, there is more, if the bond is over $2,000,000. It's only evidence when admitted at trial.

He can be held in custody until acquitted at trial, or until he escapes.

Yes, he or his attorney can request a bail reduction hearing. Based on my experience, bail can be reduced. A $2,500,000 bail could be reduced to $250,000; rarely have I seen it lowered to $25,000. However, he's been in jail almost 18 months awaiting trial, so it's quite possible something can be done to expedite the trial or to lower bail. I suggest he fire the current lawyer and ask the judge to appoint another lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back