1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Steam Pipes Repairs, Maintenance

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by chance, Mar 16, 2015.

1. chance

chance Law Topic Starter New Member

Hello,

My concern is 'Steam Pipes' in a building built in 1924. The pipes are in the basement and the landlord
    is renting out units(11 x 12)with these steam pipes.

The fumes from the pipes are toxic and drift through out the building. The heat is unbearable and the pipes
    are not insulated.

My question: Are they legal?

Thank you

Chance

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You need to take this issue up with your city or county officials.

3. disagreeable

disagreeable Well-Known Member

After 92 years of breathing, I doubt they are suddenly releasing toxic gases. There should be a valve near the base that you can turn to regulate the steam and thus the heat in your room.

4. Gail_in_Georgia

Gail_in_Georgia Moderator

Fumes from "steam pipes" are not toxic. Steam pipes typically hold, well, steam from hot water, heated in hot water boilers. Having lived in basement apartments with steam heat it is often difficult to control the temperatures (we were often broiling in the early evening hours and freezing at 5 am before the steam heat kicked on again).

Gail