stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddkatie

Hi. my nameis katie. last night my sister was arrested for shoplifting a $10.50 pair of earrings. I am scared out of my mind. she is 15. she has also never been arrested. her court date is on Jan. 27. What is the maximum penalty she can have?! i really need to know. please help me!

It will depend on circumstances of the theft. Likely its going to slap on the wrist. She should talk to her Attorney about plea options like diversion to protect her record. Also if you click on th elink in my signature line it will take you to a forum just for these issues. On that site you can ask more of find your state's shoplifting laws

ohhh. ok well i found out somewhat of what could happe. i found this girl who stole in louisisna too. she stole something that was $40. and she only got a $130 fine a values class to attened and probation for 9 months. my sister only stole something $10.50. so it shouldnt be that bad.

Don't assume anything! You do not know if this was part of a plea deal or not. You do not know who her Judge or Lawyer was or circumstances behind theft. Where I agree its likely to be slap on wrist you do not know that until she has talked to an Attorney. Did the case you refer to have the defendant have a criminal conviction on her record or not? That should be key factor your sister should look into. A criminal record will follow her for life and greatly hamper many jobs, scholarships etc

If this was VA I would say yes but not in your state no. Nothing is certain but that would be a great shock. Her Attorney is best person to tell her possible outcomes

It is unlikely she will do jail time, but that is assuming this was a simple petty theft. There may be circumstances that we are not aware of here that complicate things.... including whether or not she intended to steal the earrings when she went to the store and what statements she may have made already.
Don't use her age as an excuse. She is old enough to know better.
I would expect 6-12 months probation, fines, community service, and maybe some sort of class to attend.

She is 15, she will be ok. Juvenile is sort of a built in diversion. Getting arrested now will be good for her. She will get probation, a fine, and some class. Stealing, don't do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back