Stay-at-Home Mom has questions re: Divorce Lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegallyLostInCA

I am a stay-at-home mom who has been supported by her husband and has absolutely not a dime of her own hidden away (pathetic, I know). I have looked into the do-it-yourself divorces but they all sound as if they are for people with very little to 'fight' over. We have kids, debts, typical home furnishings, 1 car, and my retirement fund to separate. Has anyone had any experience with the DIY divorce in a situation such as mine that could tell me if it works? Or, if it sounds like it would be too complicated and I would really need an attorney, how much do they usually cost? I am pretty much broke so fund are limited to say the least. Does the attorney get paid all up front? Installments? At the end? I am not familiar with this process and seek other peoples advice based off their own experiences. If anyone knows of a 'LOW COST' attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know. I realize I will not be able to continue to be a stay-at-home mom and that's Ok, I can find work fairly easily... the problem becomes that I just can't afford to put both my kids in child care while I work (Or I would have already done it, to save up money). If you've been through this or a similar situation, please give me your words of wisdom and ideas on how to get out of this 'catch 22' marriage. I can't stand the fact that it cost only $50 to get married but $1,000's to get out of it. Who wants to stay married because they are just to poor to get divorced. I have given 7yrs worth of trying and now I am ready to call it quits, and move on. Thanks for any help you can offer.

LegallyLostInCA :confused:

You absolutely will need an attorney. Do not even think about a do it yourself.

book a consultation with an attorney-go through the yellow pages and see if they can offer a free or low cost consulation. Since your husband is the breadwinner it is possible you can bill him for your legal fees.

Have you told your husband you want a divorce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back