Statute

Status
Not open for further replies.

colorado815

What is the time fram that a corporation and or business can pursue someone over a bad check ?.
To make a long story short, about 7 years ago my ex-wife stole checks of mine to different bank accounts. All reports have been filed and delt with throough the county attorneys office. Thoses that were not went through bankruptcy proceedings. And were dismissed.
Today I had received a letterfrom a firm in NJ demanding payment.
I contacted them by phone and talked to a clerk (?) to request a copy of the document. He said that I have to get it myself becouse they do not have a copy-only paperwork.
Who has to get said document ?. To my limited knowledge they have to have a copy of the document and supply me with same befor they can pursue any further. Am I right.
What avenue is left to me ?.
Any and all advice accepted.

Thanks

If the checks were stolen and were given as payment without your authorization then I'm not sure why you should have to pay or think you are responsible. Please explain.

Originally posted by colorado815
What is the time fram that a corporation and or business can pursue someone over a bad check ?.
To make a long story short, about 7 years ago my ex-wife stole checks of mine to different bank accounts. All reports have been filed and delt with throough the county attorneys office. Thoses that were not went through bankruptcy proceedings. And were dismissed.
Today I had received a letterfrom a firm in NJ demanding payment.
I contacted them by phone and talked to a clerk (?) to request a copy of the document. He said that I have to get it myself becouse they do not have a copy-only paperwork.
Who has to get said document ?. To my limited knowledge they have to have a copy of the document and supply me with same befor they can pursue any further. Am I right.
What avenue is left to me ?.
Any and all advice accepted.

Thanks

I am haveing trouble with a company out of NJ/Calf, when I spoke with them ( a flunkie), they said that I would have to make payment. I formally asked in both verbal and in writting for a copy of the document in question. They told me that they did not have said document, and that I had to get a copy. My last words were that no I am not that they had to supply a copy. I also explained what took place. But from the response I mightas well spoke to a wall.
So what are my options or where do I go. Is there any thing else that I can send to them.
All records from that time are not to be found, for I have moved through 3 states since that time.
Also at this time I am in school full time.

Thanks for any and all advice..

Let me ask you this -- was this a joint account? Let me understand why they are coming after you. You may want to write them a certified letter simply stating that you have informed them that their allegation of monies owed is erroneous, you do not owe them money and that if they persist in harrassing you then you will take action against them. I wouldn't say more.

To begin, if your wife forged your name then you were never on the hook for the bill. Note that not only would the bankruptcy issues take care of the billing issue as well, so might the statute of limitations on collecting the alleged debt.

Originally posted by colorado815
I am haveing trouble with a company out of NJ/Calf, when I spoke with them ( a flunkie), they said that I would have to make payment. I formally asked in both verbal and in writting for a copy of the document in question. They told me that they did not have said document, and that I had to get a copy. My last words were that no I am not that they had to supply a copy. I also explained what took place. But from the response I mightas well spoke to a wall.
So what are my options or where do I go. Is there any thing else that I can send to them.
All records from that time are not to be found, for I have moved through 3 states since that time.
Also at this time I am in school full time.

Thanks for any and all advice..

The account was mine only. At the time she was an ex-wife with a lot of problems, (drugs),. She stole the checks, not only mine but those of her mothers.
I had filed all reports with the local police department, and filed forms with the bank that is trying to get money.
I will take the next step, a cert. letter.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back