Statute of Limitations on Proof of Traffic Scholl Attendence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thecia12276

Hello,

I received a speeding ticket ticket in January of 1999 in Jefferson County Florida. I paid the reduced fine of $222.00 and agreed to attend traffic school. I lived in Miami, FL at the time, about 500 miles from where I had received the ticket, but still in the same state. When I retuned home I paid the fine immediately. I later attended traffic school and mailed them the certificate of my attendence. I never heard from them again until now. I received a letter a couple of weeks ago asking for a copy of the certificate. We are talking 5 1/2 years ago. I searchd through all of my records and cannot find anything and The school doesn't maintain records for that many years. When I called and spoke to the clerk that sent me the letter she said I could pay them $30.00 and it would be satisfied or attend school again. When I called her back a few days ago letting her know I could not produce proof, and that I would be sending the $30.00 in she said that the orginal amount she quoted me was inclorrect and with late fees that now want $81.00. I could go to traffic school again for $30.00, but I don't trust that they would honor it. I think they lost my orignal certificate. Is this just a way to raise money for a county that needs it?

Is this legal? Shouldn't they have had to notify me sooner? Is there some statute of limitations? Thanks

Send the court a letter stating that you attended traffic school and request that your record so indicate. Give the name of the school, the person who stated they did not keep records back that far, and their contact information.

Have the letter notarized and send it CRRR.

I would also request an explanation of the additional fees since you had paid the fine in full.

When dealing with the legal system alsways send everything CRRR and be sure to keep a copy. Put it in the file with you tax information so you can find it if the need arises.

I don't remember

I don't remember which company I used to attend the class at. I just remembe the city I took the class in and where the company I took it at rented space from. In Miami we have hundereds of traffic schools and who knows if the one I took the class at is even still in business. I called a couple of the major traffice class companies, but they don't maintain records that long. What do I do? SHould I just say this is where I took the class at and they don't maintain records for that long? Even if I am unsure of the actual school? They have said they can and will suspend my license if I don't comply? Would it be legal to suspend my license after 5 1/2 years? Thanks

If you don't get the situation resolved they will suspend your license and then you will have even more fees to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back