statute of limitations on "foreign corporations" in NY

K

kitty-kat

Jurisdiction
New York
I was recently contacted by an attorney representing a former landlord of mine in NYC. I had a case in NYC housing court which was settled by stipulation in January of 2013. The stipulation of settlement gave NO money award to the landlord. I have not lived there since April of 2013 and have not been contacted by them since leaving the premises. They do not currently have a judgement against me but I am trying to ascertain what standing they might have to bring a case at this point. My primary question is the statute of limitations. The landlord is incorporated in Delaware, not NY where the building is located. What I've read is that when a "foreign" corporation brings a case in NY the statute of limitations that applies is that of the home state of the corporation, in this case being Delaware where I believe the statute is 3 years and has passed. However, I'm not sure whether that is the standard that applies here. Does anyone know?

A statute of limitations is a deadline for filing a lawsuit. That you "had a case" in housing court means one of you filed a suit (or claim) in court against the other.

The statute of limitations no longer applies.

However, a stipulation (or award of Zero Dollars) concludes the case and is the equivalent of a judgment.

What I've read is that when a "foreign" corporation brings a case in NY the statute of limitations that applies is that of the home state of the corporation,

I don't know where you read that but it's not correct. The statute of limitations of the state where the lawsuit is filed applies.

Now, explain how and why you were contacted by the attorney and we'll see if we can be of further help.

Back