Consumer Law, Warranties statute of limitations in virginia for substandard work

Status
Not open for further replies.

civilchick

I am located in Virginia and am interested in the statute of limitations regarding suing a contractor for substandard work. We are closing in on the one year anniversary and need to move forward with a law suit. I don't want to wait too long and go past the statute of limitations.

civilchick said:
I am located in Virginia and am interested in the statute of limitations regarding suing a contractor for substandard work. We are closing in on the one year anniversary and need to move forward with a law suit. I don't want to wait too long and go past the statute of limitations.

this would likely depend upon the cause of action. I don't think it is a year and is probably longer. I think that malpractice is usually 2-3 years (but may not apply here except regarding an architect) and that a breach of contract is longer. Different items may apply (breach of warranty) and you likely have 2 years or more -- but move as soon as possible even without regard to the statute of limitations. The longer the time the more the claim becomes stale and more the passage of time becomes an argument and point of issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back