Statute of Limitations for bad check

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysn

Okay, this is strange but I'm in need of help and fast!
First, back in June I tried writing a check at a Home Depot here in Ohio and it was declined. I rarely write checks anymore (bills are done online and use mostly debit card in stores). Only time I use checks is for my phone bill. Reason I used a check in June was because I was waiting for a new debit card. Well, my check was declined. Embarrassing as it was, I left over $200 of stuff sit and run to the bank and get cash out. I asked my bank if they knew anything as to why it could have been declined, they said no because I had plenty of money in my account. I knew that. Anyways, I called the check places that handle check writing/accepting and they didn't see anything wrong. They said I should be okay and that it must have been on Home Depot's side. Okay, I decided this past weekend to try again at Wal-Mart. At least nobody was behind me this time. Again, denied. I got the slip of paper and called the number this morning. Telecheck said there was a check wrote in June of 2007 on a closed account of mine. I told them I knew nothing of this and I've only wrote 2 checks from this account at stores and both were declined. (I've had this account for almost 4 years now). They told me this check was turned over to a CCA and gave me a number to call. I called CCA and they told me that I had to pay this immediately (It's a little over $513.00) because they've been trying to reach me. I said you have? She said yes they've sent a letter to X address and called X number. I told her I haven't lived at that address since 2003. She asked for my DL number because apparently that was used on the check or account. Now, she said that she turned this check over to the county that the check was wrote in and that they have an affidavit ready to send. Then an arrest warrant will be issued. (Which would be a felony warrant since it's over $500).
I have no idea where the heck this check came from, who wrote it or why I am just now finding out about it. I even asked her if there was any way I could get a copy of it so I could try and prove it wasn't me. She said the copy of the check was handed back to the check writer.
My questions are is there a statute of limitation in Ohio for them to collect on a bad check since
I have no way of proving it wasn't me
It's been over 3 years since this check was written and they never bothered with it
If there is no SOL what can I do?
My ex-husband has done something similar before (12 years ago) and wrote checks out and had other people write checks out on my account in other states even and almost had me prosecuted! He used my SSN in that situation. Anyways, this lady told me to call her back and she might be able to give me until Friday morning at 9:00 am to pay the amount in full without the fines and stuff. Otherwise it'll be over $1000. I'm on disability so I can't afford to go to jail or pay even the smaller amount let alone $1000. HELP!:mad:

Okay, this is strange but I'm in need of help and fast!
First, back in June I tried writing a check at a Home Depot here in Ohio and it was declined. I rarely write checks anymore (bills are done online and use mostly debit card in stores). Only time I use checks is for my phone bill. Reason I used a check in June was because I was waiting for a new debit card. Well, my check was declined. Embarrassing as it was, I left over $200 of stuff sit and run to the bank and get cash out. I asked my bank if they knew anything as to why it could have been declined, they said no because I had plenty of money in my account. I knew that. Anyways, I called the check places that handle check writing/accepting and they didn't see anything wrong. They said I should be okay and that it must have been on Home Depot's side. Okay, I decided this past weekend to try again at Wal-Mart. At least nobody was behind me this time. Again, denied. I got the slip of paper and called the number this morning. Telecheck said there was a check wrote in June of 2007 on a closed account of mine. I told them I knew nothing of this and I've only wrote 2 checks from this account at stores and both were declined. (I've had this account for almost 4 years now). They told me this check was turned over to a CCA and gave me a number to call. I called CCA and they told me that I had to pay this immediately (It's a little over $513.00) because they've been trying to reach me. I said you have? She said yes they've sent a letter to X address and called X number. I told her I haven't lived at that address since 2003. She asked for my DL number because apparently that was used on the check or account. Now, she said that she turned this check over to the county that the check was wrote in and that they have an affidavit ready to send. Then an arrest warrant will be issued. (Which would be a felony warrant since it's over $500).
I have no idea where the heck this check came from, who wrote it or why I am just now finding out about it. I even asked her if there was any way I could get a copy of it so I could try and prove it wasn't me. She said the copy of the check was handed back to the check writer.
My questions are is there a statute of limitation in Ohio for them to collect on a bad check since
I have no way of proving it wasn't me
It's been over 3 years since this check was written and they never bothered with it
If there is no SOL what can I do?
My ex-husband has done something similar before (12 years ago) and wrote checks out and had other people write checks out on my account in other states even and almost had me prosecuted! He used my SSN in that situation. Anyways, this lady told me to call her back and she might be able to give me until Friday morning at 9:00 am to pay the amount in full without the fines and stuff. Otherwise it'll be over $1000. I'm on disability so I can't afford to go to jail or pay even the smaller amount let alone $1000. HELP!:mad:

The statute of limitations TO FILE CRIMINAL CARGES AGAINST YOU is 3 years. I also would not pay a dime until they sent me something saying where,when,how much, etc. the check was. If you know you did not write the check then I would consult an attorney IF I was ever charged with writing the bad check. I dont think there is a time frame in which the collection company has to collect the funds, just a time frame on which criminal charges van be filed against you. Good luck,

ok

So, I'll call her back and ask her again to send me something. Should I assume she knows our law for the statute of limitation then or should I tell her she can't file charges? Thank you for letting me know the SOL though, that makes me feel better, not so worried now.

So, I'll call her back and ask her again to send me something. Should I assume she knows our law for the statute of limitation then or should I tell her she can't file charges? Thank you for letting me know the SOL though, that makes me feel better, not so worried now.

I would'nt say anything at all about the limitations. Ask her to send you proof and maybe check your credit report to see if affected that and maybe get a copy of the signature on the check to know its not yours.

Ms

I would'nt say anything at all about the limitations. Ask her to send you proof and maybe check your credit report to see if affected that and maybe get a copy of the signature on the check to know its not yours.

I'll stay zipped on the SOL, when I asked about sending me a copy of the check, she said couldn't because it handed back to the check writer and said she couldn't send anything until it was paid. That doesn't right though to me but I will ask her tomorrow when I call back. She told me I would have to see if the store could get me a copy. Hmm, after 3 1/2 years? Right. They are the ones with my "file", they should have it.
Another thing came to mind though, the check was supposed to have been written in June of 2007. I filed bankruptcy in May 2007 (had to quit working in Aug 2006 due to health) and the only closed account I can think of that this supposed check was written on would have been closed for at least 3 or 4 months prior to June. How in the world would a check have passed to begin with? Thanks again!

I'll stay zipped on the SOL, when I asked about sending me a copy of the check, she said couldn't because it handed back to the check writer and said she couldn't send anything until it was paid. That doesn't right though to me but I will ask her tomorrow when I call back. She told me I would have to see if the store could get me a copy. Hmm, after 3 1/2 years? Right. They are the ones with my "file", they should have it.
Another thing came to mind though, the check was supposed to have been written in June of 2007. I filed bankruptcy in May 2007 (had to quit working in Aug 2006 due to health) and the only closed account I can think of that this supposed check was written on would have been closed for at least 3 or 4 months prior to June. How in the world would a check have passed to begin with? Thanks again!

You don't owe those crooks a dime.
Maybe your husband (ex-husband) wrote the check in question?
It doesn't matter, because you didn't write it.

No collections agency has any say in the issuance of warrants.

Bottom line, I suspect your husband (ex) wrote this check on YOUR account.
If a check was ever written at all.

dont fret over what some $6.00/hour collections scammer says or thereatens.

If the prosecutor wanted you, you'd already have been arrested.

The SOL bars your prosecution anyway.

If I were in your position I'd STOP communicating with these con-artists.

You could do soemthing that could start the civil clock all over again!

Do not give these con-artists a dime.

Do not give them any personal information (if they know so much, why did they want you to reveal your drivers license information?).

That was a mistake, by the way!

Whatever these creeps tell you is a lie.

Its like talking to satan, you know he will lie, so why bother????

I should clarify the statement about the driver's license number. She had asked me what identifying information ended in four specific numbers. After thinking a minute or two I remembered my DL number and told her it was DL number. But I didn't actually read off my entire license number to her.
I was an idiot though and updated my other information (address and phone number) with her hoping to have my record cleaned so I could start writing checks again. But she said I'd never be able to until this was paid. GRR. Guess I shouldn't even have done that.
I have to get off here for the night, but will check here in the morning before leaving for appointments and such. Should I bother calling to see if they can send me proof of such a check or not? If not then I thank you for your time and honesty. I should be done posting and done with questions.

I should clarify the statement about the driver's license number. She had asked me what identifying information ended in four specific numbers. After thinking a minute or two I remembered my DL number and told her it was DL number. But I didn't actually read off my entire license number to her.
I was an idiot though and updated my other information (address and phone number) with her hoping to have my record cleaned so I could start writing checks again. But she said I'd never be able to until this was paid. GRR. Guess I shouldn't even have done that.
I have to get off here for the night, but will check here in the morning before leaving for appointments and such. Should I bother calling to see if they can send me proof of such a check or not? If not then I thank you for your time and honesty. I should be done posting and done with questions.

I think Army is correct, you should not call them anymore. If they want to continue they have your new info and will send you the info in the mail. If it is some type of check fraud that your ex or someone else has done to you then you can check(no pun intended) this out ..

http://www.ckfraud.org/

Ms

I think Army is correct, you should not call them anymore. If they want to continue they have your new info and will send you the info in the mail. If it is some type of check fraud that your ex or someone else has done to you then you can check(no pun intended) this out ..

Looks like a great web page full of info. Have to look into it more after I'm home for the day. I'll heed your guy's advice and leave well enough alone. Thank you both for your time and effort and making me feel better! I hope I can put a stop to this.

Looks like a great web page full of info. Have to look into it more after I'm home for the day. I'll heed your guy's advice and leave well enough alone. Thank you both for your time and effort and making me feel better! I hope I can put a stop to this.

Good. Hopefully this will all go away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back