Statute of limitation of lawsuit after person dies from other complications

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseanna

My boyfriend had sued me for alledgeling falling on my property and breaking his ankle...i he did make deposition, then died a short time later from other complications of health, he was diabetic and had lung problems. Just before his death he stopped the lawsuit and sent his lawyer a notozired letter to that effect, i know because i had written the letter for him and had forwarded to his computer. There were no agreements made for a settlement, at the time he said he fell i had no house insurance. After his death i told my lawyer to vacate the case but i was told not to worry because there is not enough money to be had and nobody will open case. Well, 2 years after his death his brother went to court and made himself the estate executive and went to lawyer asking for settlemnt money, which i had not made any.

Can he do this...? Is there a statute of limitations for this kind of action..? Can anyone made himself the executor for the estate and now bring another lawsuit....? i need some help in this...i don't have money to keep paying lawyer to defend me.

Wow, your boyfriend died you? I wonder what an enemy would have done to you?

Don't settle with anyone for anything on that fall.
Why?
The witness/victim is dead. He can't testify against you. You don't have to testify against yourself. Don't worry, just deny everything if this goes to court!!

Thank you...he was bad and abusive and on drugs most of the time...but when he died he was sorry and wanted to make things better so he could die in peace...his family knew what was going in...but now his lawyer is trying to insinuate that there was a settlement between us...i did not have house insurance when this happened and it cost me in one year to defend myself about $10,000. , i had told my lawyer to do this quickly but he assured it would not be worth anyone...well it seems it is to his brother who does not want to pay for the funeral expenses which i originally also helped in getting them a place that would be economic and friendly. This guy wants $5000. i did not give my deposition, but, my exboyfriend did...and my lawyer is telling me that they could reopen the case. Isn't there a statute of limitations when they can reopen a case after he is deceased?

Okay, not to worry.

Let him do anything he wants.

You just keep your mouth shut.

You would be wise to forget anything about some alleged accident.

Well, except the one where he was drunk and fell down in the street off your propery.

Dead men tell no tales!!!!

Okay, not to worry.

Let him do anything he wants.

You just keep your mouth shut.

You would be wise to forget anything about some alleged accident.

Well, except the one where he was drunk and fell down in the street off your propery.

Dead men tell no tales!!!!

Thank you Army Judge , your words make me feel a little bit at ease...still i worry though. Can you tell me what would be the general stature of limitations on this...my ex-boyfriend died Feb.5th two years ago...his brother goes to court on Feb.9th to appoint himself as the estate beneficiary/executor...is 2 years the max or can my ex's brother go to court at any time and still pursue this for the estate...? If you have this information i would greatly appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back