Status Concerned after being laid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian, working in the US (Texas ). This past oct 2013, I was approved for an H1B and Got my passport stamp from TN to H1B this January 2014 (after returning from Canada for Christmas Holidays). My H1B will expire I believe in 2016

On Feb 21st 2014 I was laid off, and I've been trying to find a job since. Now I understand that I have 30-60 days to leave the US and my employer may have sent a letter to USCIS notifying that I am no longer employed with them. I've been living here in the US, for 8 yrs.. I really want to stay but I don't know what my options are.

Question:

1) my 60th day was April 21st from the day I was laid off, now will it cause me problem to move out at the end of May or will USCIS sees it as an over-stay.

2) IF I were to find a Job before I move at the end of May, Will it be ok with USCIS.

3) after 8 yrs of paying taxes and being a lawful non-immigrant worker, is there a way for me to stay legally, applying for permanent residency?

4) folks, I am disoriented, I was shock by the lay-off, I am ignorant of the options I have, and not sure what to do. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

I love this site, I have been a member for a longtime

Sincerely,

Biggs.

The H1B is only valid for the sponsoring employer. ANY other employer is going to have to get a new visa.

There are others here who are better equipped to answer your questions, so I'll leave it to them, but I do know that much.

Mr Big, why not ask UCSIS?
Or, if you're Mr Big, hire an immigration attorney.
But, you know the answers already, don't you?
We have more than enough illegal ALIENS in Texas.
Now the ones from the north want to imitate the ones from the north.
Sheesh, this'll soon become CANEXICO.
If I went to Canada and thumbed my nose at their immigration laws, they'd boot me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back