State run Daycare Center - Special Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyG

I am from Mercer County NJ and have been working for a state run Daycare Center for 9 years now. When I first started working there I was a single mother with 2 young children who attended the Daycare Center. After 2 years of working there I had gotten married and had 3 more children, which also attended the Daycare Center. All 5 children were enrolled in a state program which reduced the cost of attending the Daycare center. Recently I had requested a reduction in hours with my married name. They informed me that I had not notified them that I was married and that and that I owe the state of NJ $85,000.00 (I do not know how they arrived at this number) for giving me special rates for my children to attend the Daycare Center as a single mother. I have been informed that the state wants to be paid in full within 12 months. My husband is a sheet metal worker, so he works sporadically and is currently unemployed and there is no way that we would be able to pay this. I also believe that even though I'm married I am still eligible for the same program with less aid. My question is: Am I liable to pay the entire $85,000.00 and Do you have any advice as to how I can handle this matter as far as negotiating a reduction if I do owe this? And if I can negotiate a longer payout time?

you getting married does matter if you are any type of state benefits. You really need to contact an attorney. You might owe the difference of the normal daycare price and the discount you received from the time you were married. I would start calling around to your state department of economic security and talk to someone. There are income caps in place and if you are no longer a single mom then you may not qualify for these benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back