State Responsibility and Ins Company Resp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostokie

I have 2 questions resulting from an auto accident. My wife was is an accident. We have full coverage insurance while the other driver does not have insurance as required by New Mexico state law. Our insurance company conducted an investigation and found my wife 40% at fault and the other driver 60% at fault. Our insurance company has told the other driver they will pay 40% of the repair cost for his vehicle. He has threatened to sue us for the remainder of the repair bill. Our insurance company has told my wife they are not responsible for any court actions resulting from this accident. Is the insurance company responsible to represent us for any actions that are a result of this accident?

The second part. The accident was investigated by New Mexico Highway Patrol. The accident report provided to all parties has home phone number, address, driver's license number and social security number for both drivers as well as phone number and address for the passenger in my wife's vehicle. Isn't it against federal law to release someone's social security number to a third party?

Thanks in advance

Q: Our insurance company has told my wife they are not responsible for any court actions resulting from this accident. Is the insurance company responsible to represent us for any actions that are a result of this accident?

A: Yes, that is why you have insurance. Ask the carrier to explain this in writing.

Q: The second part. The accident was investigated by New Mexico Highway Patrol. The accident report provided to all parties has home phone number, address, driver's license number and social security number for both drivers as well as phone number and address for the passenger in my wife's vehicle. Isn't it against federal law to release someone's social security number to a third party?

A: Well, if it is not, it should be. But some judgments in some states have Social Security numbers for people and judgments are public info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back