Starting up a Nonprofit

joesport5

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Hi,

I am considering starting up a Nonprofit in Kansas, where can I find in writing the answers to these questions?

1. As a non profit can I charge membership dues (like $20 a year)

2. If the Executive Board votes to pay someone like me a salary (as long as it's not excessive) Is that allowed?

3. This concept is based on patches and rank advancement, would we be able to charge more than what the patches cost to help in fees and any administrative business that would need to be done?

Hi,

I am considering starting up a Nonprofit in Kansas, where can I find in writing the answers to these questions?

2. If the Executive Board votes to pay someone like me a salary (as long as it's not excessive) Is that allowed?

3. This concept is based on patches and rank advancement, would we be able to charge more than what the patches cost to help in fees and any administrative business that would need to be done?

You can discuss your idea with a business lawyer in your state.

You could use most any search engine to point you in the right direction.

There are many non-profit entities that charge annual dues/fees.

I'm at a loss to understand why you (and many others) seem to think that employees of non-profit entities are not paid salaries or wages.

Not really sure what this means, but I have no reason to think the answer isn't yet.

Your post suggests you don't even understand the literal meaning of "non-profit," much less the concept behind the term. For that reason and many others, you would be extremely unwise not to consult with legal counsel about this.

Thank you for your reply in regards to question 3, its kind of like how the Boy Scouts are, they get patches once the meet the requirements. I have struggled with trying to decide with for Profit vs Non profit. For more years than I can count I have volunteered my time for numerous groups, currently in three groups now all doing so at my expense and no compensation. I am leaning towards the non profit so I am compensated for my idea and some of my time, but not to get rich, if that makes any sense.

Back