Starting a satellite site

Status
Not open for further replies.

user91

hi guys,
nice site you have here.

i am sure most of you know about the technology hitting american homes lately called FTA. it's basically a box that can receive free to air programming (satellite).. now there are files out there that once you load you can decode the signals from dishnetowrk...etc. now there are lots of forums/sites out there that support this kind of work. i was wondering if it's possible to start off a forum like that distributing these files but warning them that it is only used for informational purposes only and also the site will be hosted offshore. would i be crossing any legal lines? if so can u elaborate please. thanks

hi guys,
nice site you have here.

i am sure most of you know about the technology hitting american homes lately called FTA. it's basically a box that can receive free to air programming (satellite).. now there are files out there that once you load you can decode the signals from dishnetowrk...etc. now there are lots of forums/sites out there that support this kind of work. i was wondering if it's possible to start off a forum like that distributing these files but warning them that it is only used for informational purposes only and also the site will be hosted offshore. would i be crossing any legal lines? if so can u elaborate please. thanks
Thanks. :)

The answer to your question is that any forum that distributes files that are designed to circumvent someone else's technology will land you in trouble. Now you can discuss these things to your heart's content but if you are assisting others with intellectual property infringement then you could be found to be liable under various legal theories I am sure, e.g. contributory infringement.

This reminds me of questions as to whether you can distribute pirated versions of software with the disclaimer "for informational purposes only." Of course this isn't going to work!!! If you wouldn't buy this excuse from someone else then the law obviously isn't going to buy into this disclaimer of sorts. If you're going to put up a forum then have files at your own risk and be ready to comply with a takedown request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back