Spouses working together @ work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itmom

A problem has recently been brought to my attention at work. I'm a Independent Contractor with a computer business in Georgia. My boyfriend works for the same company as I do but hes a Project Manager. He is directly hired with our company, were I am contracted out so I'm not.
Last week on Friday my boyfriend told me that he was speaking to a boss from corporate and he told my boyfriend that their is going to be a new policy in place with our company. Which isn't going to allow spouses to work together. My boyfriends boss told him to tell me that message and that he would contact me back as soon as he can or when he found out new information about the "new policy."

Monday my boyfriend tells me that the reason they are doing this new policy is because they are bringing in another Project Manager and another Tech. It just so happens at this Tech is also a female whom is engaged to the new Project Manager. When I asked my boyfriend if this rule is going to apply towards family members as well he told me no. That his boss said It woulnt apply to family members because family is blood and your spouse isn't. I thought to myself "Wow that's pretty messed up." That seems VERY biased and sexist to me to be honest. They are doing this because they don't want to think that their will be favoritism. By this time it is Monday...No one from Corportate has contacted me on regarding this new policy. So I sent a email to my boyfriends boss and asking him if this policy is going to apply to family members as well? And he replied with No just spouses. I thought that was clearly very unfair. Because their would be favoritism with family members on site on a job as well. Now my hours have been scaled back, and I am restricted to work in the warehouse, and do deliveries. So I cant work on the same project as my boyfriend is on.

Last night before I went to bed I posted on Facebook about what was going on within the company and I stated how I felt like this was totally unfair. And I asked in general does anybody agree me with or disagree and to voice your opinions. (I just wanted to make sure to see that I wasn't over reacting) So my boyfriend calls me and asks me has anyone from X Company called me? I said no , no one has called today except for you. and he said okay and he told me to give "Bob" a call. I did so. During this conversation Bob asked me if I posted anything on facebook about the new policy. I said yes and I explained to him what I posted. I asked what post is he referring too, because I made a post earlier last week on Friday but I removed it right away. And he told me that X Company called their lawyers and told me that I was slandering the company, and that they can sue me for it. I told him that I don't see how I am slandering the company when I am simply stating facts, and anything that I posted IS true and wasn't false. He kept on telling me several times that what I posted they can sue me, or I can lose my job or both for that matter. I apologized to him and told him that I would removed it. And I did so. I have an idea as to who the "snitch" is.

If I asked who it was would they be able to tell me?
Could they really sue me for something like that on my own facebook account?

I even took the time to look up the definition of "slander" and it says someone "speaking" or "oral" wrong of the person or persons. Since they threaten to sue me isn't that violating my admendment rights to freedom of speech?

Please help, I need some advice as to what I should do in this situation. THanks! :)

Oh and another thing to add to that. I signed a contract but within the original contract there is nothing that states within that , that my boyfriend and I can not work together. I'm requesting that they revise my contract or have something to the effect of me to sign stating such "new policies."

Freedom of speech? Not the issue here.

There are often consequences for what we say. Firing you would be their easiest option.

Your thoughts on their policies are irrelevant.

Forget any torts, common law, or constitutional issues, as they don't apply.

I suggest you start your job search, as soon as you've read this.

That contract you've signed offers you no protections.

The contract primarily discusses what you'll be paid.

You serve at the pleasure of those who pay you.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back