Sports Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisla

Ontario, Canada

I am interested in starting a local magazine and internet website that will cover soccer news from around the world but mainly focusing on Canada.

Think of a miniature KICKER style magazine / website
kicker . de

My question is could I legally print and post online club logos and pictures.

With pictures I understand I have to ask permission from the photographer however how do I go about club logos ? Do I get an overal permision from Fifa ?

Thank You

I'm not going to give you an official opinion here but using a logo in the purposes of news reporting may qualify under the "fair use" exception of copyrighted works and trademarked logos in the US. This does not mean that it is the same in Canada or with regard to the English Soccer clubs which vigilantly protect their logos. Typically low resolution images of the logos could be considered an exception. For the most part, you shouldn't have any trouble from the clubs unless you are making money as a direct result of their logo, e.g. the logo as a phone wallpaper being made available for download.

With regard to club pictures or pictures from a photographer - that is a whole different story. Those rights belong to the photographer and using them to provide news would likely not be considered fair use. There are ways to get permissions to use photographs from the clubs and photographers, e.g. AP and that is the established route you probably want to take.

Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back