Sponser "Means Based Assistance" Reimbersment Requirements

oilpaintartist

Jurisdiction
California
I signed a Form I-864 for my stepdaughter. She is 54 and not in good health.

Her petition was granted and now she can reside and work in the US. I'm not sure what job she will ever be able to hold.

I am trying to figure out how to get her health insurance that I will not have to reimburse the state of California or the federal government for. Would I need to repay Covered California benefits?

I'm sorry, but why should the state not be reimbursed?

I'm sorry, but why should the state not be reimbursed?

Thank You Zigner for your reply.

I'm not saying the state "Should" not be reimbursed. What I was asking is if it "Is" reimbursed? What "Should" and what "Is" are sometimes 2 different things,

Further research on my part shows California CAN go after the sponsor for reimbursement, but to date has not done so with sponsors.

I'm trying to get my stepdaughter insured. Going through "Covered California" seems to be "means test" based and therefor, I would assume I could be held responsible.

Even though California has not YET gone after sponsors, it would seem it would behoove me to just seek a medical policy for her on the open market without going through "Covered California".

I signed a Form I-864 for my stepdaughter. She is 54 and not in good health.

An Affidavit of Support, also called the Form I-864, is a document an individual signs to accept financial responsibility for the applicant who is coming to live in the United States. The person who signs the Affidavit of Support is also called the "sponsor." The petitioner must complete Form I-864; however if the petitioner's income is insufficient, a joint-sponsor may agree to also complete an I-864 on the applicant's behalf.

An Affidavit of Support is legally enforceable. The sponsor's financial responsibility usually lasts until the applicant either becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work (usually 10 years) under the Social Security Act.

By signing Form I-864, the petitioner (including any joint sponsor(s)) is agreeing to use their resources, if necessary, to financially support the beneficiary and any dependent(s). If the beneficiary and dependent(s) receive any designated federal, state, or local means-tested public benefits, under U.S. law the agency providing the benefit "shall request reimbursement" from the signatory of the I-864.

NOTE: Please review the following information very carefully. Failure to complete and submit the correct form(s) will delay the processing of your case.

In most cases, the petitioner must:

a) Complete an Affidavit of Support form and;
b) Gather evidence of their finances and other supporting documents

Financial Documents

Most people who do what you did end up ruing and regretting becoming a "sponsor" for another adult AND very often, the OFFSPRING of the adult.

I hope that you don't join that rather large pool of people trying to help other people, but only victimizing themselves in the end.

Good luck, Samaritan.

Back