speeding ticket please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

golexcap

On march 7th around 9 pm around exit 50 I was stopped for going 82 in a 55 mph zone on the Long Island Expressway in NY.

Since I am still under probation due to the fact I got my NY license recently, if I do get convicted of a speeding ticket I get my license suspended for 2 months. I am in sales so my car is crucial considering I work only on commision.

I also got another ticket earlier that day (very unluck day considering I was going to long island to relax for the weekend) however I found a lawyer out there who guarnatees (and I was reffered my someone in a similar situation) who can get it reduced to a non-moving violation.

however my inquiry is on the 82 mph ticket (the second one)

The court that it happens to be in (TVB Court) happens to be one of, if not THE hardest traffic court in America. They accept nearly no plea bargains and pretty much everything goes to trial.

I cannot afford to get my license suspended for 2 months b/c I need to work, I can't work there if I don't have a car, and I need to pay rent etc.

From the people I've spoken to tell me it's 50/50 odds of winning a case in that court.

What do I do? I can't afford the points or suspension? And the lawyers fee is pretty pricey also. Someone please help.

Thank You

do you mean New York City's traffic court? I would say the odds are even much worse, may be a 20% chance to win.

Sorry, can't help you on this one, those judges have seen and heard every excuse under the sun.

New York City Traffic Court

"New York DMV Transit Adjudication Board
Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and New York City. If you receive a citation in these cities you are essentially doomed. These cities utilize the DMV Transit Adjudication Bureau. This facility is not a real court. You have no right to discovery, you don't get a supporting deposition, you cannot plea bargain and you don't even get a real judge. Appeals are virtually non-existent and according to a recent report, the Bureau is required to maintain a 65% conviction rate in order to maintain revenues. The only positive is that the Administrative Law Judge doesn't have the power of incarceration so you won't end up in jail."

Does this answer your question?

Assuming that your license will be suspended, many states have a hardship exemption where you can get a license to drive only at work. Check with the DMV to see if this is available in NY.

I have also heard that trials can take up to a year to schedule. I am not sure how accurate this is but you may want to consider delaying everything as long as possible.

it is in the TVB traffic violations bureau court in hauppage. the worst court on earth.

TVB is harder than NYC.

is that possible? Then, good luck, you will need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back