Speaking publicly about rape, if the rapist was "not guilty"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahkenna13

I was raped when I was in high school by my stepfather. I reported the incident, went to court, and he was found not guilty. I want to share my story with other survivors. But i am afraid if I post anything on my blog or otherwise publish my experience, I could get sued for libel because he is "not guilty.". How do these laws work in this type of situation?

You cannot make false statements about anyone. Since he was found not guilty you could find yourself in a legal bind. However you could likely speakon the issue without naming him or who he was to you.

I don't recommend that course of action, either.

The arrest record is public record, if nothing else - if the author is identifiable, it may not be difficult for her stepfather to draw an obvious conclusion that it is in fact himself being referenced to.

The only thing I would suggest is writing down what it is you wish to publish, and running it by a defamation attorney before you actually publish it anywhere.

Delaware does recognize defamation per se, which means that he would not need to prove tangible damages in order for a judgment to be awarded in his favor.

Tread carefully OP.

Erin, I've also sent a note to you privately.

Please don't respond to old threads unless you have new or relevant information.

If you have a legal question of your own, please feel free to start your own thread.

Thanks!

Erin, I've also sent a note to you privately.

Please don't respond to old threads unless you have new or relevant information.

If you have a legal question of your own, please feel free to start your own thread.

Thanks!

That THING was a spammer!

I've permanently dispatched it!

I've found that spammers use any thread to grow their post count, then WHAM, out comes their advertisement and link to their scamming website!

Darn it...I'd hoped it wasn't.

Thanks, AJ.

These auto-register programs are getting that much cleverer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back