Spammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

army judge

Super Moderator
Hello, professor and friends of the forum.
Professor, why don't you disable the ability of anyone to post links until they've been a member for 90 days?
There is no need for the casual questioner to post links.
There are other ways they can communicate that information to those of us that assist them with their queries.
By disabling linking for 90 days (maybe even 180 days) we all but eliminate spammers.
I banned a very creative spammer this evening.
Until I went to the website (using a browser, not an app), I couldn't even see his spam.
It's time to disable linking for 180 days, thereby defeating most (if not all) spammers.

Not sure this would work as legit members could not link to info they may need to provide us for answers. Where I agree its annoying the post limit already in use might be best. We can see spammers before they begin as they put up nonsense posts to get to magic number. One other option is registration (forgot how to register here so may be pointless) on another forum I beling to http://www.parentnook.com/forum/ you must answer a simple question like which of these does not move? there is a list of things like dog cat rock bird of course we know answer. This has kept a lot of spam off that board

Not sure this would work as legit members could not link to info they may need to provide us for answers. Where I agree its annoying the post limit already in use might be best. We can see spammers before they begin as they put up nonsense posts to get to magic number. One other option is registration (forgot how to register here so may be pointless) on another forum I beling to http://www.parentnook.com/forum/ you must answer a simple question like which of these does not move? there is a list of things like dog cat rock bird of course we know answer. This has kept a lot of spam off that board

I'm not talking about long time members or moderators. I'm talking about "newbies". Very few of them have a need to post a link. So, why not prohibit any NEW members from posting links until they've been aboard 90 days or longer.

And, most are free to PM us, or ask us to PM them. The link ability isn't worth the aggravation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back