Sovereign Land Lease Fee

gwester

Jurisdiction
Florida
I have a boardwalk/dock that extends from my property across sovereign/submerged land to the Wakulla River. This structure was permitted in 2002 by Florida DEP and the Army Corp of Engineers. I have received a lease agreement from the city for use of property this structure crosses. There is a fee associated with this agreement. Their logic is that my boardwalk goes over a road easement (Wakulla Rd. platted 1927) and they want this fee. In my area, sovereign land is defined as being any land connected to navigable or tidal waters at or below elevation 2.17 feet sea level. The R/W in question is below this elevation. Are they, the city, within their rights to levy this fee?

Yes, the city can seek to confiscate your money.
If you disagree, you'll have to PROBABLY abide by their appeals or protest policies in order to "beef" the charge.

You do know that's like trying the thug that burglarized your home before his mother or father, right?

So, when their appeals or protest procedure affirms the money grab, you'll have to then follow their procedure in an effort to receive their permission to sue them.

Get the picture, yet?

Pay them their tribute, mate, and enjoy your life with less stress.

You can't beat these crooks, they make the rules.

However, if you feel so full of it that you're gonna show them, now you know generally what's required.

We don't know all the details about your case, including when you acquired the property, how long you had the structure (boardwalk) extending over the land (perhaps since 2002) and other details. You may wish to consult a real estate attorney since it's possible that you may have obtained an easement by prescription also known as a prescriptive easement. There may be other rights you may have which an experienced real attorney can help you understand and determine whether the city can bill you, which is certainly possible. Good luck.

Back