Someone owes me money.. should I sue him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgriffin

An ex-boyfriend owes me money since 2004. When we split up, he signed an agreement where states that he owes me $ 9k.. but I was not able to reach him until 2007, where he made promisses that he was going to pay as soon as he get a job, but nothing until now.

I mailed him a demand letter requesting the money back but he sent me a very nasty email last night, saying that if I proceed with the suit, he will bring to court lots of stories about me that will not be beneficial to me.. kind of threating me.. and will make up stories that arent' true.

He said he will not pay me back because it was my "share" when we lived together..

Should I proceed with the law suit?

Yes, if you want your money back. The judge (who likely has heard it all before) will nip this story telling business in the bud and tell your ex-boyfriend to focus on the real issue here;does he owe the money or not.

Gail

My only concern is the agreement letter I have is from 2004.. do you think is still valid? I live in Tampa,FL now and he lives in Alabama, but we lived together in GA.. so I'm going to file a suit against him in the Small Claims court in the State of GA. .right?

The limit for small claims is $5000, and the time limit is 4 years, so you'd better do it quickly!

eta: The above information applies to Florida, which is where I think you will have to file. In Georgia, the limit is $15,000, but since neither of you is a resident, I don't think you can file there.

Last edited:
As far as I know.. I need to file a suit in the state where the "injured" occurred or where the defendant resides. So, it has to be in AL or GA.. I think I have more chances in GA.

I just want to know if he will be asked to proof all these false allegations against me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back