Someone in prison wants to file a lawsuit against me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arogers08

My boyfriends brother went to prison in April 2003 and is sentenced for 18 years. My boyfriend has had his property such as clothes and stuff for the last almost 5 years. His brother had someone come pick up his property and now he is saying we didnt give all his stuff to the guy that came to pick it up. He says he is going to file a lawsuit against us. We did give him all his stuff but can a inmate that is serving a 18 year sentence file a lawsuit like that?

Anyone can sue anyone else for anything. Since he is in prison, he has nothing but time on his hands, so he may well try to sue you and anyone else he feels like ... this is not uncommon.

Make notes as best you can of all the items you had, the items you gave the friend, and what you recall of the items he claims you still have or were responsible for. Chances are this will be a small claims action, but if the dollar value is high enough, who knows?

I wouldn't stress too much, but if he really wants to rock the boat with claims he can ... like I said, he has nothing BUT time.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back